Briggs and Stratton 5HP motor

-

pishta

I know I'm right....
Reaction score
can anyone tell me the oil level off the floor of the case in inches or mm when full (off dipstick) ? Im adapting a vertical shaft to run horizontally and need to know approx how much oil I need to cover the oil slinger off the rod cap. I have an oil plug at 2" but I think thats too much?

The typical "old style" Briggs horizontal shaft engine has a 1 quart capacity, if that helps.

I would keep in mind that "adapting things" might change more than you think. The casting, etc might be different enough to change the effective level.

LOL reminds me of a story from the old Navy days. We had a pair of so called QUAD RADAR, AN/FPN-36. They did not have the standardized military maintenance manuals, nor the PM cards (periodic or preventive maintenance) and a local San Diego co. had been hired to create them. One thing was the gearbox on the top mount. It had a drain, a fill, and a level/ sight plug. The manual said to drain it, refill with type *** lubricant until the oil was at the opening of the sight plug

So we had to go out on the field and with BOTH RADAR, drain and refill the gearboxes several times and measure the thing several times for an average. I bet we were screwing around out there for a couple of hours.

So when the prototype print for the new manuals and PM cards came out, everybody had to look up whatever they worked on to see what came out.

The "new" instructions said to drain the box, and refill with *** oz of type *** lubricant, and then continued "then continue to add lubricant until even with bottom of sight plug!!!!"

uad_radar_e77ec43b707e547c3e15ad5b557cb6eda403d70a.jpg

s3f483-jpg.jpg

On a level surface, oil level will be at the bottom of the threads on the screw on cap. A lot of the newer engines take a little over a 1/2 qt. .6 of a qt..

well, here is the thing: I dont know the level of FULL (.6 qts? ) of oil from the floor. Here is a pic:
s-l1600.jpg

with 2 fillers. How does this H-shaft motor determine how much to fill? The plastic gear is the slinger. Im thinking oil level has to be 1/2 way up so it can still sling oil with all the oil already slung up there making the level lower. Im adapting a vertical shaft motor for use on its side so it acts like a horizontal shaft. Please, before you tell me it cannot be done, its been done. All you really need to do is to change the shaft oil galleys so they are top fed, ie in this pic of a H-shaft endplate. See the groove at 12:00 on the main shaft? Thats where the oil enters the crankshaft journal. On a V-shaft motor that slot is at 7:00 so you just fill it with JB weld so its flush with the journal and grind this at the new 12:00. thats really all you have to do internally as the governor sits in a way that it still slings oil everywhere even when its on its side. I removed the governor and put a 'spoon' off the connecting rod cap that dips into the oil as the new slinger. Its only .5 inches off the bottom of the sump when you turn the crank. Im thinking 1" of oil will totally reach the new slinger. Think that would be enough? There is a pipe plug 2" above the sump that I will use to fill. Im just not sure what a H-shaft motor reports as full, off the bottom of its sump. Trying to throw a minibike together with what I got and this 6.75HP B&S lawnmower ran like a top (when it started, F'n crap jello gas out here) But the deck rusted out and it was going to the curb before I ran across a minibike frame. Heck, Ill use this motor on that frame....and a new project begins....And I know the mounting will be weird: a 8x10 L bracket to mount the 3 vertical deck bolts of the motor to horixontal 4 bolt minibike pattern on the bottom.

This is crazy, the Briggs engine was designed to run Vertically, now you want to run it 90° and hope it does not burn out from lack of oil.

Or perform like crap from too much oil.

Fun to experiment. I would just get a horizontal engine that was designed to run that way. New or Used.

☆☆☆☆☆

The horizontal ones always ran full to the bottom of the threads at the filler plug hole.
And on that series of engine conversion from vertical to horizontal will NOT work

-
Back