Broadcast sheet mysteries

-

67GTConvert

Reaction score
Hey guys,I recently bought a GY3 71 Dart Custom off another member here,which is kind of unusual in more ways than one,and it came with two broadcast sheets which are different and really interesting.I'll post what I know and what I think then I'm hoping some of the experts on here could hopefully chime in and agree or disagree then answer a couple questions I have about them.

First off,what I know about the car is it's a 71 Dart Custom VIN LP23G1R100068,which,as most of you will know,will be a 2DRHT with a 318 and I believe would be 68th 1971 model released for production for the Windsor plant so it was destined to be an early build.It has an order number of M00101 which,IIRC,the "M" is an internal code for a promo car.Given the unusual color and the number of trim options (for an A-body at least) and that it's also coded for a Y93 show car finish,this seems like a possibility.Am I on the right track with that theory?

What's also interesting is that it came with two build sheets which are different in a several ways.First,one sheet is a conventional colored sheet and is the same as the other for the first 6 areas except for two things,the sequence number is different (#000090,preceded by a 3) and there's a code missing for the RH front brake (RH front brake delete car? lol).When you get to line 7,the computer goes full Windows and spits out a bunch of codes in a row starting in the Heater A/C section then into the Glass area that make no sense.No idea what the codes are for.There's nothing else in the lower areas where there should be codes until the comments section at the bottom where the top line is double typed in places but if you read carefully,it's the first two lines of data for the build sheet of the next car in sequence (#000091,also preceded by a 3).It's kind of cool car,71 Satellite 2DRHT 383/auto in B5 blue with a white canopy top with a blue interior.It's VIN number ends in 100137 which shows the VIN numbers aren't built anywhere near in sequence on the line.

The second build sheet is also interesting.First,it appears to be a black and white photo copy of a correct build sheet and it's on much heavier paper than the colored sheet.I didn't even know they had photocopying back in 1970 so this is news to me and I've never seen another broadcast sheet like it before.Anyone else on here seen one of these?
This sheet seems correct in regards to all the codes and what not but the sequence number is now #000003 and preceded by a 1.Anyone know why the number preceding the sequence number changes from 3 to 1 (or visa versa)? Is that an assembly line number,maybe?
Also,any guesses on which sheet might be the "final version" with the correct sequence number? Would it be car #3 down the line or #90?

Another thing is in the comments section there's a typed note "88 NO BODY PLATE BROADCAST".I'm guessing that what they call the body plate is what we usually call the fender tag?
The car has no fender tag and doesn't appear to ever have had one so maybe that explains it.Anyone else ever seen that on a build sheet on a car with no fender tag?
It also has "U S A EX-FACTORY 8-21" hand written in the comments section.Any idea what that means? The car was built to USA specs,exported to the US and sold new in the mid-west.

I'll post pics of both sheets shortly.

Last edited:
Pics of the build sheets:

IMG_1998.JPG

IMG_1994.JPG

Time to call ehrenberg or govier on that one

Time to call ehrenberg or govier on that one

Not a bad idea.Govier sounds like he's pretty busy these days but he might make time for something as unusual as this.I'm not sure if E-berg is a big paperwork/documentation kinda guy but he would know more about it than I do.I might try to find out where he's lurking these days now that MA is defunct.

There are a couple of pretty knowledgeable members on here who are really into this kinda stuff so hopefully they see this thread and can offer their thoughts on it.

Last edited:
The Windsor plant did odd things with coding that I have not heard of a way to decipher yet.

Also interesting here with your colored sheet - the paper evidently stuck in the printer & its started printing the data on it for what appears to be ?H23B1R100137 - the next car in line at that printer station. A close up of that part of the sheet would be cool & may make it possible to clear up which part of that line was printed over another.

As far as this goes;

The car was built to USA specs,exported to the US and sold new in the mid-west.

Cars built in Canada for the US & cars built in the US for Canada are not considered 'export' cars. The Y09 (export) sales code only refers to cars ordered from overseas.

Buried in the double printed line on the colored sheet I see the words SHOW CAR;

show car.JPG

I believe would be 68th 1971 model released for production for the Windsor plant

It actually is the 63rd VIN assigned there for this model year, but theses cars were not built or released in VIN order.

It actually is the 63rd VIN assigned there for this model year, but theses cars were not built or released in VIN order.

Just out of curiousity,how did you come up with the number 63 when the VIN ends with 68? Do they start at 5 or something weird like that?

Also interesting here with your colored sheet - the paper evidently stuck in the printer & its started printing the data on it for what appears to be ?H23B1R100137 - the next car in line at that printer station. A close up of that part of the sheet would be cool & may make it possible to clear up which part of that line was printed over another.

The hard to read letter is an R.Plymouth Satellite.

Buried in the double printed line on the colored sheet I see the words SHOW CAR;

Good eye,I couldn't make that out but see it now.I guess they wanted this car to be a looker in the showroom or maybe they had other plans for it before that.

Thanks for your input so far.One more thing I was wondering is about the "NO BODY PLATE BROADCAST" in the comments on the b/w sheet.Have you run across that before? and if so,was it on a car that didn't appear to ever have a fender tag?

I know this is thread from is from last year but did you ever find out any info on the black and white broadcast sheet? I'm asking because we found one in our original interior seat on our 70 challenger that we've owned since the 70's and everyone's saying we took a copy of the original and stuck it in the seat which makes no sense. If we owned the color why would we take a black and white picture and place it in the seat?

It is actually a recommended way to keep the data with the car if & when an original is removed from a car.

Copies are cheap, but color is preferred when possible which may have not been an option way back then?

Do you have a scan or clear image?

It is actually a recommended way to keep the data with the car if & when an original is removed from a car.

Copies are cheap, but color is preferred when possible which may have not been an option way back then?

Do you have a scan or clear image?
Thanks for the reply. Was this common in the 70's to do? The cars didn't have any value back then like they do now. Why would someone think they need to put a copy in the seat 30 plus years ago?

The black and white build sheet says "No body plate broadcast" and a sequence # of 3. With that low of a vin it was probably a pilot or test car. When it was assigned a vin for retail sale, the colored build sheet was printed.

Last edited:
You may have gotten the second or third copy of the build sheet. They were probably carbon copies and the color copy was the first or top copy. The subsequent copys were printed in black and white and the information was printed using carbon paper.
Have you seen this before besides the example in this thread? We have been told that they are color only. Happy to hear you say this.

The 'track holes' for the paper feed rollers were in originals, this one is a copy.

Go to the link below & drop down to the August 'Items of the month' to see a close up of the track holes, the carbon paper & yes, the duplicate carbon copy was the same colored paper as the top.

The 1970 Hamtramck Registry "Previous 'Found Items of the Month - 2006' " Page

Good to know. Do you know if there were always multiple copys and if all of them were originally color with black print? The track holes are from "tractor feed " paper that comes folded in a box but is one continuous sheet separated by perforations. Gotta love that tractor feed paper.

So this goes back to my question of why would someone in the 70's make a copy and put it in the seat springs? The original post question here is in the same scenario as he has a black and white. Just curious on thoughts on this?

There were multiple printers scattered all over the plant, when the broadcast sheets were printed, it was truly a 'broadcast' but on paper.

The front seat assembly area had one printer & the rear seat assembly area had its own printer.

Those lines in your copy look like perforations from the thin steel listing wires, did you find it literally woven into the seat?

If so, the printer at one of the stations mentioned above may have been out of commission, so they may have had to obtain a copy from the closest station with a working printer.

We may never know for sure though.......

Just out of curiousity,how did you come up with the number 63 when the VIN ends with 68? Do they start at 5 or something weird like that?

I missed this one. A typo on my part, I meant 68.

On the black and white copies....are the large hand written marks "C 9" written in grease pencil or something on the copy? Or was that written on the original and copied?
Hope that makes sense lol

-
Back