Broken front stud holding intake on. Rusty. Help

-

Mike69barracuda

Reaction score
Broken front stud holding exhaust manifold on. Rusty. Help.......

There is no nut on this stud because it's broken flush at the intake y area.

Last edited:
Not really sure what you mean. Do you have any pics?

Broken flush, so meaning you can't get a pipe wrench on it or anything?

Few different options. If it were me with my limited tooling i'd soak it for a bit with penetrating oil. If you have access to a torch heat it up also, let it cool. Then i'd hit it with some left hand drills and hopefully the stud will come out.

Is it preventing you from removing the intake? I truly doubt it's a stud, but I've seen worse.

I'll go out and take a picture. Now that I'm thinking about it I believe it's the exhaust stud. Standby........Picture posted shortly.

Fresh pictures. exhaust manifold front.
DSCN8916.JPG
DSCN8917.JPG

The exhaust will slide right over it. then it will be sticking out and you can get a pipe wrench on it. heat the head around it and use penetrating oil and it will come out.

when I had manifolds I removed all the studs and used bolts. It made it user friendly with the B WEDGE in the 67 fastback.

When you do get them off make sure the intake and exhaust gaskets are FLAT. If not, resurface them. After that the fel-pro gaskets will be fine.

The problem with stainless steel hardware is the vast majority of it is soft, so I'd just go with grade 8 bolts if you're going the bolt route and use antiseize. I personally like studs.

The studs I've seen are like a brass or something? The torque on these is minimal: 200 inch/lbs for intake to exhaust, and 10 ft/lb for stud nuts. Thats like a new bottle of Ketchup! Stainless will seize onto a nut, use stock stuff. When in doubt, check the FSM (what I did looking at a '65 170/225) . Remember the 1 piece gasket is engineered to OEM design as the exhaust and intake SLIDE on the gasket when they heat and expand. That's why the funky washers are used and the way the intake and exhaust bolt bosses are shaped like that. I broke off same stud at the same end but mine broke flush with the head. I ended up drilling it out and punching the remaining threads into the block as I couldnt pick them out as if they were welded in there. If I break another one, Ill use my plasma cutter to blast it out as low carbon steel melts about 150F below cast iron and itll take me about 5 seconds once I get it set up.

-
Back