Broken parts thread.

-
Last fall me and the Mrs. headed out to a cruise-in and about half way I noticed the car had a very slight vibration. Didn't seem very bad so I figured it tossed a wheel weight and kept driving. It was approx. 60 miles round trip to the cruise-in and back and by the time I got home the vibration had worsened, but still not to the point of being real alarming. When I pulled into the garage I popped the hood with the engine running and noticed the bottom pulley was rotating like an oval. shut it down, checked to see if it was the balancer. Nope. Crank seems loose???

Here's the pic of what I found wrong when I pulled the engine apart.

Mind you I drove this about 60 miles like this and as far as I could tell the only problem was a very slight vibration. Good thing I kept my right foot in check that night

That a 4" stroke Eagle cast crank ?

Great thread and i have a few for display, This what happens when you buy from some one and dont follow your gut and got them checked from your machinist ! Wise lesson grass hopper!! If you ask nicely i will tell you the vendor i got them from.

Holy crap that looks like a bad day. Maybe even a nightmare.

Mine is nothing like the engine and tranny photos but when you let your boy borrow the Plymouth to drive to football practice in high school you might be asking for it. My wife called me at work and said he hit a curb, bent the rim and blew a tire. I headed home and picked up a spare wheel, floor jack and wrenches. Well, she's known for her understatements. She didn't mention that the camber was a little off too. Luckily we had a donor because the K was bent too.

To graduate, all seniors were required to put together a "Senior Project". It involved all the research, planning and execution of a self-improvement/learning project for yourself. He learned all about Mopar front suspensions with a complete rebuild of this one... When he graduated from college several years ago, I signed the car over to him. It's in the paint shop as we speak now that he's restored the body.

View attachment a lower control.jpg

View attachment a sat sus.jpg

Last thanksgiving,was at the track to close out the season...as I left the line(on the Tbrake)I hit 2nd,then 3rd...hmm I got some wobble in the front end..cars veering left,as I try to correct I notice my steering free wheeling..I ease on the brakes to try and straighten out NOPE.So I lock them up up and wait for the hit(as I was doing 100mph by the 1/8th)BANG!! The car hit the left guardrail from the right lane...some damage to left fender at front and scrapes down the whole d.side of the car..Thank god for steel bumpers,as they saved the car from being totally sideswiped bad.Culprit?? My steering shaft coupler decided to let go after well over 1000 passes.10 days later I was back racing for the Halloween Classic in Norwalk,Ohio with a new Flaming River u-joint on my steering shaft.I got the car back from body/paint last week and it's back together ready for 2015 race. View attachment 1714793476. View attachment 1714793477 View attachment image.jpg

Last thanksgiving,was at the track to close out the season...as I left the line(on the Tbrake)I hit 2nd,then 3rd...hmm I got some wobble in the front end..cars veering left,as I try to correct I notice my steering free wheeling..I ease on the brakes to try and straighten out NOPE.So I lock them up up and wait for the hit(as I was doing 100mph by the 1/8th)BANG!! The car hit the left guardrail from the right lane...some damage to left fender at front and scrapes down the whole d.side of the car..Thank god for steel bumpers,as they saved the car from being totally sideswiped bad.Culprit?? My steering shaft coupler decided to let go after well over 1000 passes.10 days later I was back racing for the Halloween Classic in Norwalk,Ohio with a new Flaming River u-joint on my steering shaft.I got the car back from body/paint last week and it's back together ready for 2015 race.

WOW.....You got lucky with just that damage going 100mph. I don't remember reading about this or I missed it. Good thing you were okay :D

I just went through this thread. Ya'll sure know how to break some stuff. I was discussing with another FABO about racing with a 8 3/4. He sent this to me and said this is why he uses billet caps on his race car.

Attachments

• Attachment-1.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 276
Wish I would have taken some pictures of the rod soup in my 360's oil pan. That would have been perfect for this thread.

broken valve lock, being lucky for once in my life it was not catastrophic and was a quick fix

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 258
  • unnamed (1).jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 253
Last thanksgiving,was at the track to close out the season...as I left the line(on the Tbrake)I hit 2nd,then 3rd...hmm I got some wobble in the front end..cars veering left,as I try to correct I notice my steering free wheeling..I ease on the brakes to try and straighten out NOPE.So I lock them up up and wait for the hit(as I was doing 100mph by the 1/8th)BANG!! The car hit the left guardrail from the right lane...some damage to left fender at front and scrapes down the whole d.side of the car..Thank god for steel bumpers,as they saved the car from being totally sideswiped bad.Culprit?? My steering shaft coupler decided to let go after well over 1000 passes.10 days later I was back racing for the Halloween Classic in Norwalk,Ohio with a new Flaming River u-joint on my steering shaft.I got the car back from body/paint last week and it's back together ready for 2015 race. View attachment 1714793476. View attachment 1714793477 View attachment 1714793478

Dang Scott! Glad to see you (or your car) weren't seriously hurt after that. I bet that ride was pretty high on the brown pants scale:prayer:

I will have to figure out how to post pics. 10 runs on new car with supposedly fresh motor,crank broke,took out the balancer,crank trigger,block,2 rods,1 piston most of the valves and tran case. what a mess.

I will have to figure out how to post pics. 10 runs on new car with supposedly fresh motor,crank broke,took out the balancer,crank trigger,block,2 rods,1 piston most of the valves and tran case. what a mess.

Sounds interesting.Lets see some pictures.

The air cleaner bolt sucked in during dyno run, and did not even bend the valve on its way in.
And unrelated to the first fail broken crank.

Attachments

• Franks camera 5-16-11 257.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 217
  • Franks camera 5-16-11 260.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 224
pics of the broken junk

Attachments

• IMG-20141011-00181.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG-20141011-00182.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG-20141011-00184.jpg