Broken valve spring dampers?

-

Woods74

Broke Senior
Reaction score
Working on a 5.9 magnum, RHS Indy X heads. .525 lift, 226 @ .050 duration, 112 LSA.

Springs are newer Hughes 1110. Lifters were older and made noise at start up. Found a piece of #2 intake valve damper in the lifter valley changing out lifters and intake. What causes this? Should I replace? Remove and run?

Thanks!

How in the world did that piece escape? There's just not a lot of room in there, even with the valve on the seat.Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. I guess if the piece is small enough.......
Mustabin a defective damper. But how to prove it? Since you're gonna want to put a new one in there, If it was mine, I think I'd replace them all, or at least all the intakes.And maybe the seals too, depending on mileage. Yeah that's a poser, all right.

The rest of them look OK, but that's the curse...

I've got maybe about 1500 miles on the motor. Can't say I haven't revved it up. I make sure to take my foot out of it when it quits making power.

I'll find the piece and take a picture tomorrow.

P.S. I used 2.2L retainers if anyone is curious.

Valve springs are cheap.

So, something I consider a blunder; BOTH of the small lifter oiling holes for this cylinder we're facing the wrong direction. Although I've never had a huge lifter pump down issue, only sounds like a tractor when you start it up, and goes away completely when it's warmed over.

10-4, even though I'm hesitant, I'll replace them all.

Lifter oiling holes facing the wrong direction? Are these not in the side open to the wide machined band that gets oil all the time?

Without some sort of detailed testing, I can't think how you would know if the springs are all addled, or one just had a defect. Like Dirty Harry said: "Do you feel lucky today?" I've decided both ways on such things.... and lost once on a Jeep engine. (Well, it needed some fresh rings anyway, right? LOL)

Out with the old in with the new. Replacing the valve keepers since they are off of an ancient K car, and adding new hardened pushrods.

I don't have the facilities to be playing chance. The juice ain't worth the squeeze. :cheers:

Thanks for the word!

Lifter oiling holes facing the wrong direction? Are these not in the side open to the wide machined band that gets oil all the time?

Not in a Magnum motor the roller lifters only go in one way.

That is part of what is perplexing me.... if the oil hole was the wrong way for the same brand lifter in different holes, then wouldn't that whole lifter (or pair) be in the wrong way? As I look at it the oil hole can be anywhere around the 'waist band' of the lifter. Perhaps there is more than one brand of lifter in this engine, with different oil hole orientations.....

Mag lifters go in one way, no exceptions, to oil correctly.
They are single lifters like LA except they use a "spider" to hold them in.

I thought the magnum lifters went in one of two ways, 180* apart. So to my way of thinking,saying the oil hole is wrong simply meant, turn them 180*. Then the OP started talking about pairs, and I made the jump to strapped lifters. My bad.

They will go in 180 out, you have to point the oil hole in the proper location on all 16 of them. Or 12 if you have a v-6

-
Back