budget build 440

-

hw612

The Mopar Martian.
Reaction score
gonna build a 440 this summer then drop it into a dart for my first car. doing this on 14 year olds budget, will be a challenge that im up for, so im wondering how i could do this without having it cost 80 bucks to get to school every day. and keep it with decent performance. so what can i do during the initial build up of the motor, then later with the tranny and drive train. thanks.

Sorry but "A 14 year olds budget is pretty vague" (unless your mom and dad are loaded), exactly how much are you planning on spending on the 440 and the required suspension and cooling upgrades.

well under 5 grand over the next year and a half.
parents are no way in hell "loaded" is anyone these days?

that could change if i work this summer.
the block comes with steel crank edlbrk performer intake rv heads and water pump for 200.
ill pick up some 906 heads and port them my self too.

You should be able to do it for 5K, just don't expect much more than a stock rebuild.

"14 year olds budget", good gas mileage, and good performance do not work well together. You need to pick one out of the three. If you can work up 5K though, you should be able to put together something in the 425-450 horse range. Does the engine come with 906 heads? If it doesn't, I wouldn't bother getting a set. They won't flow any better than the RV heads and the RV heads should already have hardened valve seats in. I would go easy on porting the heads either way. 90% of people who port their own heads only end up going backwards performance-wise. You might be better off getting a set of Stealth aluminum heads from 440 Source.

i am loaded, i need another :drinkers: to stay that way.....

Just a bone stock 440 runs pretty good and will move a light Abody very well. A good edition would be a good rear end ratio, an overnight job with excellent benefit except for the gas mileage.

im working with my shop teacher all summer and we have access to the million dollar workshop with 6 lifts, air, power, welders, and the whole 9 at my school. we build 9 second novas for the school drag team. yes i know novas are icky.
he will be going with to mic the block and check it out with me. yes a simple rebuild will be done, but im wondering about efficient carbs and trannys dosent holly make some good EFFICIENT carbs?

I like your passion for old cars you dont see that in young kids much. Finding the right parts at the right price will be your main problem. Have the block checked and cleaned at the very least.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FEM-MHP158-300/?rtype=10

thanks, they just dont make many good cars anymore, its sad. plus someone has to keep them going and i take pride in what i do, and wouldnt trade it for anything :-D. im studying for ASE certification, as an 8th grader!!

ohh and its all going from my truck to my machinist.

I'm 16 and I got a duster for 2500 of my own cash. But mine had a mean small block. Personally id got with a small block jus for the ease of installation. I have a 440 out of an old truck but I can't have powersteering without serious mods. If you have the resources go for it dude! But for 5k you can have a wicked small block

I'm 16 and I got a duster for 2500 of my own cash. But mine had a mean small block. Personally id got with a small block jus for the ease of installation. I have a 440 out of an old truck but I can't have powersteering without serious mods. If you have the resources go for it dude! But for 5k you can have a wicked small block
Sure you can with Shumachers motor mounts and their TRY-Y headers....

tricky with column shift....
IMG00268-20100508-1645.jpg

close with power steering....

IMG00117-20100328-1041.jpg

Hiya..

I am going to assume that the Dart does not have a Big Block in it at this time.

FWIW, I took our 1968 Dart GT (original 273 V8 - ) and retrofitted a 383 in it.

I did a lot of shopping around for all parts...from the 8 3/4 rear end, to the pumpkin to the Transmission and Radiator...

I spent $12K.

All work, except paint, was done in my garage. I'm talking from welding home-made Frame Stiffeners to assembling the engine to retrofitting disc brakes from a '73 Duster with a Mustang Proportioning/ Metering valve..

$12 to $15 K is a reasonable budget..

IMHO, The engine is Not the biggest money pit...It's a major part, but for me, it was only about 1/4th of the money on the build..

Other things add up real quick. When you go with a Big Block Retrofit, You gotta upgrade just about everything, from the radiator to the brakes to the suspension (Torsion bars & Shocks) to the rear end to the wheel-wells..

Also apropriate transmission (a small Block 727 auto trans will NOT work on a BB engine) You'll need a BB 727, Torque converter and an A-Body 8 3/4 Rear end.

My best advice to you is to buy one piece at a time and to treat each part of the retrofit as a separate little "project". Then, set up a Schedule for completing each "project".

Headers - One Project

Carburator & Linkage - One Project

Frame Stiffeners - One Project

Radiator/cooling fans - One Project

Also don't stack up more than 3 - 4 "projects" at a time... or you might get overwhelmed and/or lose interest.

This system worked for me. Our car was my fist build of this type, so I was completely inexperienced when we started.

Stick to your schedule and you will be OK.

Good luck to ya.

--

It can be done. There are other options then Schumacher headers though. I dont like the idea of building my motor only to choke it down with 1 5/8 headers tubes. Look in to some good used partial fenderwell headers I got mine used for $75.

Hiya..

I am going to assume that the Dart does not have a Big Block in it at this time.

I did a lot of shopping around for all parts...from the 8 3/4 rear end, to the pumpkin to the Transmission and Radiator...

I spent $12K.

All work, except paint, was done in my garage. I'm talking from welding home-made Frame Stiffeners to assembling the engine to retrofitting disc brakes from a '73 Duster with a Mustang Proportioning/ Metering valve..

IMHO, The engine is Not the biggest money pit...It's a major part, but for me, it was only about 1/4th of the money on the build..

Other things add up real quick. When you go with a Big Block Retrofit, You gotta upgrade just about everything, from the radiator to the brakes to the suspension (Torsion bars & Shocks) to the rear end to the wheel-wells..

Also apropriate transmission (a small Block 727 auto trans will NOT work on a BB engine) You'll need a BB 727, Torque converter and an A-Body 8 3/4 Rear end.

My best advice to you is to buy one piece at a time and to treat each part of the retrofit as a separate little "project". Then, set up a Schedule for completing each "project".

Headers - One Project

Also don't stack up more than 3 - 4 "projects" at a time... or you might get overwhelmed and/or lose interest.

This system worked for me. Our car was my fist build of this type, so I was completely inexperienced when we started.

Good luck to ya.

--
:burnout: I agree...I had to do all of the same stuff to my Dart...it was a 318 factory car.....7 1/4 rear with lighter torsion bars...a904 tranny and no frame connectors and 4 wheel drum brakes...I would also throw in a rear sway bar

Sure you can with Shumachers motor mounts and their TRY-Y headers....

tricky with column shift....
IMG00268-20100508-1645.jpg

close with power steering....

IMG00117-20100328-1041.jpg

Hiya..

I spent $12K.

Headers - One Project

Good luck to ya.

--

It can be done. There are other options then Schumacher headers though. I dont like the idea of building my motor only to choke it down with 1 5/8 headers tubes. Look in to some good used partial fenderwell headers I got mine used for $75.

:burnout: I agree...I had to do all of the same stuff to my Dart...it was a 318 factory car.....7 1/4 rear with lighter torsion bars...a904 tranny and no frame connectors and 4 wheel drum brakes...I would also throw in a rear sway bar

Thanks you guys for the help and support! sorry its been awhile but im finishing up school and stuff so the motor was on the wayside, untill today!
i think ill write a blues song called... sanding the valley put 2 or 3 hours in and have a lot to go, when i get frustrated i just think of the finished product... oh and eaglesguy fenderwells are my favorite!

block1.jpg

block2.jpg

casting imperfections and just smoothing everything being careful of the lifters, im not completely sure why but i always listen to my shop teacher hes built more motors and cars than i have teeth.

-
Back