Budget Build Questions

-

jglover_81

Reaction score
I am trying to get my 72 Scamp back together and running but unfortunately I am on a fairly tight budget. The 318 that I put in the car when I was 16 has been sitting for about 12-13 years and at some point the carb was removed without me knowing. I have a 360 out of a 73 van and decided if I have to spend the time and money on rings and bearings at the minimum then the 360 will get the time and money. I have tore the 360 down completely and cleaned everything. My question is there is a slight ridge on the cylinders when I measured I came up with approximately .0025 on the ridge. Is that safe to ream the ridge and go until I get the budget for the 408 build or does this block need bored?

Hone the cylinder first. Put up a pic if you can. Can you hang a nail on it?

360 stock block limits from my manual:

Piston-cylinder clearance = .0005 to .0015"

Bore diameter = 4.000 to 4.002"

Taper limit = .010"

Out of round limit = .005"

Sounds out of spec but could work, but for how long.

I have no hone the cylinders yet but plan on doing that this weekend. If I try hard u can hang a nail on it. My reason for questioning is my dad says to remove the ridge, my father in law says to bore it

Also remember those spec above are for a stock production engine, not an HP one. All HP engines like to be a little loose anyway. Kinda like a 2 dollar *****.

I thought about taking one of the stock rings and put it in the ridge and check with a feeler gauge and then repeat further down in the cylinder to double check my differences

Original Post Removed.

I did a little checking and the pricing these days of what I spoke about just doesn't work anymore. I'll just wait and see what you find out this weekend.

Thanks everyone for the input! This weekend I will take out the ridge and hone the cylinders then I will measure piston to wall clearance and see where I need to go next.

Hey, RustyRatRod you weren't talking about your avitar were you??

-
Back