budget dana 60

-
Update : I called dr.dif and ordered e body axles 35 spline $300 (most any size same price), a spool $125, and bearings $50 plus shipping $25 or so.
Oh yah , I almost forgot - I posted the left over axles, bearings, breaks, and drums for $40 on Craigslist and got it last week :D witch brings the dana it's self down to $120 from $160 with semmingly good 410 gears.
bringing the total so far to $620.

I was wondering about a pinion snubber ? Is there an aftermarket for this? I don't see any provision for one on this truck dana. Not that it should.....??

You have to drill the truck housing for a pinion snubber.

Another update: I got the open differential out of the Dana today and starting to get the housing cleaned up to take to have shortened next Saturday. I called Cass at dr.dif and I've got the housing ends on the way.
So add another $91 to the $620 and I have $710. now that $91 covers the housing ends, a couple inter seals, and shipping. So I've been quoted again $150 to cut and weld the housing ends. $150 including parts for putting the purchase on at the correct angle and another $75 too well the housing to the tubes. So this should put me just at $1,100. I will have a fellow drag race friend help me set up the ring gear off the open onto the spool. I'll also will shoot pictures of the 410 8 3/4 489 case ring gear as compared to the dana 60 410 ring gear.
View attachment 20160116_111050.jpg

View attachment 20160116_111102.jpg

I was looking for a Dana 60 for my dart build....Now im looking for two...

Looks like you might end up havin a budget dana after all. I knew a girl in school named Dana. She wasn't a budget kinda gal.

Seen that before and that girl actually looks surprisingly similar. lol

I know carriers are 2 series. The 3 series and 4 series. 4.56 and steeper use the 4 series. You can put 4.56 and steeper on a 3 series but you need a spacer. I dont think you can put the lower gearsets (numerical) on a 4 series carrier. This might apply to spools also. We went from 4.11s to 3.63s in a 57 olds housing last year. With a spool. We also had to get a kit. Kit had a spacer and instructions to machine the spool to fit the spacer and move the spool over. So now we can move the spool to fit the gearset we want to use.That spool was not easy to machine as its a tough metal. I'am hoping your not in a similar situation.

I know carriers are 2 series. The 3 series and 4 series. 4.56 and steeper use the 4 series. You can put 4.56 and steeper on a 3 series but you need a spacer. I dont think you can put the lower gearsets (numerical) on a 4 series carrier. This might apply to spools also. We went from 4.11s to 3.63s in a 57 olds housing last year. With a spool. We also had to get a kit. Kit had a spacer and instructions to machine the spool to fit the spacer and move the spool over. So now we can move the spool to fit the gearset we want to use.That spool was not easy to machine as its a tough metal. I'am hoping your not in a similar situation.
All seems well...

Well everything seemed to turn out well for the "budget Dana 60" !!!
Got everything cut and welded today by friend of a friend for previously mentioned price.
$1100 and done!
Sooo now I have to change the ring gear from the open carrier to the spool. I didn't mess with the pinion.
I pulled one of the carrier bearings off and the shims looked beat? The old game plan was to re-use the shims - check and go. I did get new shims and a friend is letting me borrow his loose set of adjusting bearings, so not 100% yet but getting there.
work in progress pictures are not my shop, but I wish !!
View attachment 20160123_111320.jpg

View attachment 20160123_115207.jpg

View attachment 20160123_171118.jpg

Well everything seemed to turn out well for the "budget Dana 60" !!!
Got everything cut and welded today by friend of a friend for previously mentioned price.
$1100 and done!
Sooo now I have to change the ring gear from the open carrier to the spool. I didn't mess with the pinion.
I pulled one of the carrier bearings off and the shims looked beat? The old game plan was to re-use the shims - check and go. I did get new shims and a friend is letting me borrow his loose set of adjusting bearings, so not 100% yet but getting there.
work in progress pictures are not my shop, but I wish !!
View attachment 1714869203

View attachment 1714869204

View attachment 1714869205

Probably should have suggested this beforehand, but check for wear at the carrier bearing surfaces in the housing and the cap.

This web page describes it and what tool to use to fix it. Any shop that does alot of truck work probably has the tool and can do the repair.

https://www.quad4x4.com/Dana Axle Component Failures.htm

We are in the within a $100 of each other... Cost of the spool basically. They look good in an A body! I should have taken a picture after the exhaust work vs before...

Attachments

• IMG_20160118_152034986.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 230
are ou kidding me,you got a whole dana 60 for $160.00?how do you get so lucky?

I just put in "dana 60" on general search Craigslist and that was 4 or 5 adds into it.
I seen a open dana 60 carrier for $80? I should have the ring gear off mine and on the spool today. I'll probably put mine on cl for $40? Guess who's will sell first ? And "boo-ya!!" Down to $80 for the original dana with good 410's :coffee2:

Please remember this is race forum stuff, not OE correct car Dana those are out of this world expensive...

-
Back