budget duster.

-

THE STEVE

"part-time wheelman"
Reaction score
4 years ago when i was 17, i purchased my second duster. its was a 72 slant 6 car. drove it 2 years with it bone stock. the slant 6 burned so much oil i poured a half gallon of used oil in every 2 days. i had been working at cale kerms speed shop for sometime. i built my 360 after hours, the engine came out of a wrecked 77 dodge van with 70,000 orig mi. it a stock bore 360 with a hefty erson cam, stock heads with a severe port job, valve job, and heavier springs, edelbrock torker intake, and a holly 600. the engine was $150, the intake $15, the carb i traded a schwinn bike frame, all accesories were $5. its also got flowtech headers. the trans is a 727 out of a 73 rallye challenger, i rebuilt it and added a b&m shift kit. and used a mancini kit. the trans was free from a friend.
the rear came out of a 73 duster. its an 8 1/4 with an auburn locker and 3:55s. the rear axle was $40, gears $30, locker was $500. rear leaf springs are from mopar and they are super stock springs. i have disc brakes for the front that came from a 76 volare. free.
the interior is rough, no carpet. the floors are solid since the car came from az. car has no bondo at all in it. seats are from a 97 sunfire. free. and it has a new dashpad and of course, a foot print gaspedal. i also have a hurst v-matic floorshift. $20. im all about doing things on a budget. this car isnt a show car and never will be. i built it to drive. i did all the work. my friends helped paint the car in my driveway. dont worry, its only temporary. itll get a real paintjob after school. including what i paid for the car, i only have about 4 grand in it. and it is extremely solid.

now time for pics!
duster1.jpg

20468_1293683032841_1553261687_7612.jpg

duster2.jpg

duster3.jpg

duster4.jpg

duster5.jpg

duster6.jpg

thats me in the naxja shirt.
julyohten003.jpg

julyohten011.jpg

julyohten019.jpg

stephen007.jpg

duster7.jpg

im only 21, i just finished an automotive degree at vincennes. im going back for autobody. hopefully in a few years the car will be where i want it. thanks for looking!

thanks! the car is far from done. someday the engine will get stroked. itl get a 4-spd. and a bigger rear. i love this car to death and i drive it as much as i can to work, college, and of course every weekend.

got a saweet deal today. my buddy bought a new edelbrock 600 for his truck. a week later it got flooded in a pond. filled the carb with mud. the nest day some kid gave him a brand new holley 650 because he didnt know how to tune it and thought it was junk. so my buddy gave me the brand new edelbrock 600. i cleaned it out and it works good as new. fo free!

heck ya!...thats MY kind of Investment Ratio!!

I had near the same thing happen to me on my Edelbrock 1406.

Guy had been driving his 1965 Chevy Shortbed with a 5.7L 350 with this carb for quite awhile.....the accelerator pump diaphram started leaking and shot a bit of fuel up on the top plate....he cranked on it and it backfired a little and caught that on fire, which caught the air cleaner on fire, which dripped all down and around the Said 1406.

Guy had the truck towed into my shop, requested a brand new one....at $415.00 installed....and GAVE me the "burned" carb for FREE.

New $15.00 accelerator pump from O'Reilly's, 2 hours of one quiet peaceful morning in the shade on my back porch...and I have a rebuilt, ready to go Edelbrock 600 mechanical secondaries WITH electric choke.

Cant seem to go wrong with that Ratio in my book....8)

Great progress and cool car BTW! :rock:

Great progress & nice ride, man! And I think your signature is cool too. Nothing wrong with the frugal method.

Keep it up.... Ill be tuned in.

just scored a holley double pumper 650. im gonna drop my 2200 stall in and try to look for a new intake at the nats`. i also scored a set of new bfg et drag radials. also my uncle might give me a set of OLD weiand finned alum valve covers.

Gotta admire someone who is the same age as me and builds things on a budget. Thats how I've done it with my cars, I'm way too cheap to do it any other way!

the benefits of working at a speed shop... some huy came in with brand new flowmaster super 40s on his street rod. he wasnt happy with them and had us install mandrel bent stainless exhaust. i got his old exhaust fo free. the flowmasters will be on the duster soon.

Nice!
Sounds killer for only 4k. I'm at about 5k in mine (including cross country transport), but mine's no speed machine.

Very cool! Even doing everything my own i cant build my car as cheap as you! cant wait to see more done to the car.

im 22 and i've built quite a few cars and had rest handed down from my dad.... i give u props for doing it on budget and in driveway.

i built my 68 340 4 speed formula s cuda for less then 5,000.
paid 200 for 3701 original mile car
paid 1700 for a rusted out 340 4 speed car

made two cars one

wow made all that work sound simple.

i also built a 340 4 speed duster for under 4,000

got the duster running. got the 650 double pump on, cell, and new fuel lines ran. upgraded to 3/8. installed a hemi scoop and my 60`s metalflake sterring wheel. drove it down to vincennes university. been cruisin it to class everyday been getting alot of compliments. some guy stopped me in the hall and asked if i drove the loud black car. he said he could here me on the other side of campus.
dusteroct2810003.jpg

dusteroct2810004.jpg

thanks! ive been getting alot of compliments on campus. about 12 people have asked me if it was a nova. that pisses me off

thanks! ive been getting alot of compliments on campus. about 12 people have asked me if it was a nova. that pisses me off
Thats why im so glad I dont have a fastback! LOL. Its a badass car. When someone calls it a Nova, you should say, "well, its the first Nova made by Plymouth I guess":toothy10:

-
Back