Builders: Square engine, Over Square, or Under Square for you?

-
This is an unanswerable question due to the near endless amount of combinations. If you tested this idea at the same cubic inch then you would also have to try the various strokes. Then there is every part of the engine that has to match and then every part of the engine that can be replaced with another part to try.

So, having a many different cranks, rods, journal sizes, pin sizes, piston variations, camshafts, bearings, don’t forget the roller cam bearings, piston ring packs…….. every part changeable on the engine would need to be compared.

All fair but I am talking specifically about that single change from a theoretical standpoint. Obviously there would be different parts involved with a bigger piston etc, but on paper, what would that 1.3 sq/in add.

OEM 351 Windsor block is 9.500"

That is incorrect.

OEM 351 Cleveland block has a 9.200" deck height

OEM 351 Windsor bock has a 9.500" deck height

However the hot setup is buying an aftermarket Windsor block with the 9.20" deck height and 302 mains if you want to race.

Tom

Maybe my mind hasn’t totally left the building yet!!

Thanks

OEM 351 Windsor block is 9.500"

That is incorrect.

OEM 351 Cleveland block has a 9.200" deck height

OEM 351 Windsor bock has a 9.500" deck height

However the hot setup is buying an aftermarket Windsor block with the 9.20" deck height and 302 mains if you want to race.

Tom
Thanks, Tom! I was under the impression all the small blocks were the same. I knew what ther Cleveland was, because I have one.

Thanks, Tom! I was under the impression all the small blocks were the same. I knew what ther Cleveland was, because I have one.
And a 400/351M is 10.297 got 4 different block heights to choose from, to put under a set of Cleveland heads.

And a 400/351M is 10.297 got 4 different block heights to choose from, to put under a set of Cleveland heads.
Correct. A lot of people get the 351M and 400 kornfrooshed too. They think they're big blocks, but they're not.

Because sometimes there is a weight break at a low CID that you can take advantage of.

This is an unanswerable question due to the near endless amount of combinations. If you tested this idea at the same cubic inch then you would also have to try the various strokes. Then there is every part of the engine that has to match and then every part of the engine that can be replaced with another part to try.

So, having a many different cranks, rods, journal sizes, pin sizes, piston variations, camshafts, bearings, don’t forget the roller cam bearings, piston ring packs…….. every part changeable on the engine would need to be compared.

Win lotto and find out.

Why even answer him?
I wasn't talking about a class with rules, just having power at your disposal

All fair but I am talking specifically about that single change from a theoretical standpoint. Obviously there would be different parts involved with a bigger piston etc, but on paper, what would that 1.3 sq/in add.
If you look at torque differences between 273/318/340 350/361/383/400 383/413/426/440 displacement was done through Bore size, kind of show what's being added.

But it you look at the 4" bores displacements 289,302,351w,m,c and 400 or 302,327 and 350 or even our 360 torque difference is mainly stroke, or engines of similar displacements but vastly different bore stroke ratios for a certain performance (efficiency level) torque to cid is also generally similar.

Because sometimes there is a weight break at a low CID that you can take advantage of.

Win lotto and find out.

Why even answer him?
Why even answer him ?
Who the f do you think you are dude?

Correct. A lot of people get the 351M and 400 kornfrooshed too. They think they're big blocks, but they're not.
Some of the best Ford guys I know, some even restore them, can't agree on what's a big block or small block Ford :D Us mopar guys never have that issue....

What is the perfect rod ratio? How is/was it achieved?

Some of the best Ford guys I know, some even restore them, can't agree on what's a big block or small block Ford :D
Yup. I've told a few before why they are small blocks and it goes in one ear and out the other. They'll have none of it. It's like you're tellin um they have a little dick. lol

Also, at what point does the stroke shove the piston into the cylinder wall instead of up the wall?

The small block mopars have some of the best rod ratio compared to the other brands. Must be a place a builder would love it to be.
Best "for what"? I think that's splittin hairs. Short rods are good if you want piston speed up. Long rods are good if you want piston speed down. It all depends on what you're doin.

Also, at what point does the stroke shove the piston into the cylinder wall instead of up the wall?
You won't reach that point, because nobody was stupid enough to design an engine like that.

You won't reach that point, because nobody was stupid enough to design an engine like that.
I had one of the best engine builders I ever knew, back in my late teens/early twenties, warn me on creating a "shove" into the wall. Now we see massive stroker kits

Best "for what"? I think that's splittin hairs. Short rods are good if you want piston speed up. Long rods are good if you want piston speed down. It all depends on what you're doin.
but builders will have their preference, and they'll speak to it :)

I had one of the best engine builders I ever knew, back in my late teens/early twenties, warn me on creating a "shove" into the wall. Now we see massive stroker kits
I can see his concern, but I don't think these engineers who design this stuff are that dumb. Look at the Chevy small block 400. 1.48:1 ratio. They run fine.

I would guess for any given bore size and rpm ain't really a factor like 9-12 thousands rpms is no big deal I'm sure there's will be a point were the increase frictional hp loss will cost more than any displacement of air gain through stroke where that is?

I remember an 413/426 Max Wedge super stock racer said Chrysler found 92% Bore stroke ratio to be the ideal power/friction compromise, that was over 30 years ago I read that and based on IDK :)

but builders will have their preference, and they'll speak to it :)

Oils have gotten way better. So has bore geometry and surface finish.

Pistons today will take more side loading before friction goes too crazy.

-
Back