Building a 0 mileage warranty 340 shortblock

-
Thanks. I'll probably do that. Ive always like this one, never had a problem and it works good. Knocks the tires of in all 4 gears haha. Which is kinda what I want. Not winning strip wars, but it sure is impressive to the young bucks that think they're fast.

The intake doesn't bother me. If you have some time, you can wait and see if Trick Flow is going to release their intake. It's a Strip Dominator copy with the flange corrected.

Also would suggest upgrading to a new carb with replaceable brass so you can actually tune the thing.

Other than that, what you are doing is cool as hell. I'd leave the 4.88's in there, and I doubt you'd find a cam that is much better than what you have.

Corrected? You mean effed up so you caint run a TQ in stock eliminator? Yeah that's what I thought. dork. lol

Clutch technology has come so far in 40 years it's not even in the same universe. Sadly, that comes with a price. If you're lucky 2k will get you a sintered iron disc, an adjustable pressure plate and an aluminum flywheel. That's another thing. The heavy FW should be a museum piece. All it does is beat the hell out of the tire.

The options (for me) aren't very good. Most guys have went to the diaphragm PP but I'm not a fan as you can't adjust it. Although one possible option is to call McLeod and see if they will build you a B&B/Long cover and use the best rag disc they have with 2200-2600 pounds of base pressure (depends on car weight) and live with replacing the disc every 75-100 runs. You could also call Cale at Black Magic Clutches and see if he will do you up a PP like that that has some adjustment to it. Of course, at that point, the costs are going to be close a sintered iron disc deal and that's much more reliable, uses much less plate load (I'm at about 875 pounds for driving on the street and at the track I'll knock it down to about 625 and a small amount of counterweight) and will last longer.

Did you really just suggest TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS for a clutch? And I guess you want him to dump Torco all over it, too.

Yeah, 2k for a clutch, in a motor I'm building out of nos old school parts isn't going to happen

A Weiand X-Cellerator would be a good intake for that engine. IMO a Victor is too big for what you have.

Did you really just suggest TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS for a clutch? And I guess you want him to dump Torco all over it, too.

Yep. If you want a functioning, tuneable clutch. If you just want to go out and smoke the hoops then it doesn't matter. If you're not going to put bite to it, it doesn't matter.

Why would you pour quality oil on a clutch? If you're not spending 20 bucks or more on oil you're running cheap **** oil. Cheap oil isn't cheap.

Corrected? You mean effed up so you caint run a TQ in stock eliminator? Yeah that's what I thought. dork. lol

No, you can't run a TQ on a SD without grinding more out of the secondary side. I also have another virgin on the shelf, so if I get the desire to play with a TQ again, I can fix the flange and give it a whirl. Just want to find the right TQ without having to send the wife to a downtown corner to buy it. And yes, I already asked and the answer was not acceptable to my wishes.

Got the shortblock disassembled and looks immaculate. Took block and heads to machine shop that my dad used 40 yrs ago. And yes, still the original owner. Cane hear well, but he knows his ****. He said it would run just fine with only a light hone. Said there's room for improvement on decks to square them up perfect. I told him what I wanna do with this engine, and he said to let him correct the decks, and with the X heads r&j built years ago, a good head gasket, this is gonna be a fairly high comp, "stock" engine that's gonna scream with this 528" cam!!!!! That weiand 7510 has worked good for over 40 years, I may just port match to these heads and keep it. This time with a 750 dp. Looking into a good set of rod and main bearings and good rings so I can hurry up and get it balanced. Can't wait to get this bullet in with all the stack accessories and some quietish exhaust

I'm still trying to find the old paperwork from these heads to see what all was done. I know Dad spent a TON of money on them at the time when he was racing, but never installed them

Think I'm gonna get a new set of springs regardless. Also might try to find a NEW set of iron adjustable rockers and good pushrods. The old 273 rockers have served their purpose well, but I'll sleep better knowing there's new ones under those stock valve covers.lol

-
Back