Bulkhead disconnect connector problem...

-

dodge69hemi

Reaction score
ok finally i put my 451s in my Dart, and its just one thing right after another. the Bulkhead disconnect connector is fried and it melted... obviously there's a grounded short because if I disconnect the Fusible link wire (dk blue/red) by the ign. relay I get 0 power to anything. but if its connected the Bulkhead disconnect connector starts smoking like a chimney. So here's my question... Is there a way to bypass the entire Bulkhead disconnect connector or do I have to get a new one, where do I get the 3 connectors/main under-dash connector?

I say bypass, and others will argue.

But FIND THE SHORT first.

One way is to pull the battery ground and put a big heavy lamp in series, like a stop/ tail lamp, or better, a headlamp. This limits the current so nothing will "smoke"

Another way is to buy a "short finder" This is essentially a breaker you do the same as above, and it sits there and cycles on/ off. The kit has a meter which you run around close to the harnesses. Where the big current (short) is, the meter will deflect.

Several people make these, here' just one 'xample

http://www.nextag.com/Tool-Aid-SGT25100-Short-549598430/prices-html

figured out the problem. the factory wiring harness runns through the ameter which is ran through one single wire to the alty. on the alty there's a charging post with a nylon washer. i forgot to put that nylon washer on, so the alty was ground the entire power source to itself... epic fail.

-
Back