BUYING A MOPAR - SIGHT UNSEEN money transfer through escrow account?

-

BIG-B-Barracuda

Reaction score
I am looking at a MOPAR (B BODY) guesses welcomed, pretty excited to get her over here as soon as we can figure out... My question being has anyone ever bought a car across multiple states sight unseen and what is the best way to handle money transfer and avoid potential scam.

from research i have found a potential option possibly only option as long as both parties agree.

use a third party and transfer funds into escrow account and do not release monies until title in acquired and arrange third party trucking CO. transfer.

YOUR help is appreciated!

I have. And won’t do it again. But I’ll say this, your payment method sounds about as safe as you can make it. Now advice, I’m sure the purchase price is not small money, so why not buy a cheap flight and go look at the car before you make a big money decision.

You might try to find a member near the vehicle and see if they'll go have a look at it.
I have done that for a fellow member, and saved him a buncha grief .
I agree with TT, go have a look yourself, recently a member posted pix of a vehicle not inspected.
The pix showed lotsa 50+ yr damage/wear that wasn't expected.

Photos can hide a LOT...have an appraiser look at it. (I didn't, and the result was...not good.) It's worth the cost.

For money-a certified check sent return receipt with signature. That makes screwing you on the deal federal mail fraud.

There are a couple of rules to follow unless you are a risk taker and are ok getting scammed. 1) Fly out and see the car or have a trusted party of your selection look at it and provide photos, etc. If you can't do this then perhaps buying long distance isn't for you. 2) transfer money via a bank wire

I've bought a few cars like this. I got to determine if the sellers were trustworthy or not. I have also walked away from a few cars. One time I did not go look at the car and it was a major disappointment when I got it. Fortunately it was just a cheap project car.

I purchased a '69 Dodge Dart sight unseen about 12 years ago. Payment was arranged via an escrow account and worked out very well. The payment funds were not released to the seller until I received delivery of the car and approved the condition of the vehicle.
My buy worked out well because there were additional parts and pieces included with the delivered car that I was neither aware of or expecting.
Good luck!

I just purchased an auto several states away, Connecticut it was. And had to make a wire transfer to purchase the car. I used "Lemon Squad', they had a gentleman sent to check the car out and got back to me via email, sent a nice report and a BUNCH of pictures. And if you wish, give them an area of concern to check over and they will do so. What a piece of mind to have a second pair of eyes to look over the auto.

Pre-Purchase Car Inspection | Vehicle Inspection

I have. And won’t do it again. But I’ll say this, your payment method sounds about as safe as you can make it. Now advice, I’m sure the purchase price is not small money, so why not buy a cheap flight and go look at the car before you make a big money decision.
as of right now money is tight to make this happen and because of the holidays a flight there and back would be at least 1000. a flight there and drive back would be tough considering the weather (season) .

You might try to find a member near the vehicle and see if they'll go have a look at it.
I have done that for a fellow member, and saved him a buncha grief .
I agree with TT, go have a look yourself, recently a member posted pix of a vehicle not inspected.
The pix showed lotsa 50+ yr damage/wear that wasn't expected.
that sounds like an amazing suggestion - car is located in Washington Graham post suggest clean of rust except on pass. fender and pass. door small corner area.

I would say that $1000 flight could end up saving you much much more.

I just purchased an auto several states away, Connecticut it was. And had to make a wire transfer to purchase the car. I used "Lemon Squad', they had a gentleman sent to check the car out and got back to me via email, sent a nice report and a BUNCH of pictures. And if you wish, give them an area of concern to check over and they will do so. What a piece of mind to have a second pair of eyes to look over the auto.

Pre-Purchase Car Inspection | Vehicle Inspection
i will look into this thank you.

I purchased a '69 Dodge Dart sight unseen about 12 years ago. Payment was arranged via an escrow account and worked out very well. The payment funds were not released to the seller until I received delivery of the car and approved the condition of the vehicle.
My buy worked out well because there were additional parts and pieces included with the delivered car that I was neither aware of or expecting.
Good luck!
Curious what bank did you go through for the transfer and escrow account.

Always a risk, I did it once about 10 or 12 years ago, but I was lucky that the seller was a very honest and decent person. I don't know if I would risk it again, I know a few people who have been screwed. There are some really good members in Wa. that would probably be happy to help you and give the car a good inspection. I would make a "wanted" post, offer a few $$ for their time, it could well save you a lot of money in the long run. Just my .02.

I sold a 66 Dart on here years back to a fellow member in New York here. We chatted on phone for awhile then he sent me a check. I waited for it to clear and he sent a transport truck to Oregon. Very smooth

I am looking at a MOPAR (B BODY) guesses welcomed, pretty excited to get her over here as soon as we can figure out... My question being has anyone ever bought a car across multiple states sight unseen and what is the best way to handle money transfer and avoid potential scam.

from research i have found a potential option possibly only option as long as both parties agree.

use a third party and transfer funds into escrow account and do not release monies until title in acquired and arrange third party trucking CO. transfer.

YOUR help is appreciated!
Finance it, that way the lien holder will get the title, once said title is at your bank of choice pay it off

I purchased TWO from B-body and got screwed both times. I didn't learn after the first :BangHead:. Cars were not as nice as pictured. Will never buy without seeing again. Used bank transfers both times with detailed emails describing the car, vin, and price. Think the escrow would be the best way, but if car has problems, would the shipping back to seller be on your dime ??

Last edited:
I purchased a b-body sight unseen off of ebang about 17 years ago. The listing had free shipping with "buy it now" and paypal insurance up to $25k. Things are very different now but I spoke with the seller and he was working out of an auto shop in Arizona. He seemed like a straight shooter. I checked out the business and even called the local popo. They knew the business and said it was ligit. Paid through PPal.
All went well for me and very happy with the car. Still have it.
I agree with having a member here or business check the car out. I was lucky. Best to be safe. Good luck

Did it once and got screwed! You've been warned! Trust nobody when it comes to selling old iron today! I got lucky on what I lost only because I did a total restoration.

It's worth the money to see it for yourself. Otherwise, you were warned!

JW

Usually a risk taker - Will take all your comments to heart and proceed carefully. i'll have to wait till January when round trip tickets are dirt cheap if he has it by then it was meant to be if it sells before then it wasn't meant to be. Lessons learned through you all... thank you for being the crash test dummies. again i appreciate you all. Happy Holidays

that sounds like an amazing suggestion - car is located in Washington Graham post suggest clean of rust except on pass. fender and pass. door small corner area.

Maybe I'm just not reading this right, but is the car in Graham, Washington?

OK. Graham is near Tacoma and Seattle where we have lots of members. If it was me I'd do a new thread asking if someone could swing by for a look. As mentioned above, a few bucks for someone's time and gas would likely get you some eyes on the car.

-
Back