Buying a used lift worth the savings?

-
I wish they were closer I would buy them all . Your stealing them at that price. Anything that could be worn would be and easy fix while tore down. Operate them while they are still standing. Take measurements on the floor and make drawings for reinstalling them.
Yep, Nashville is too far to justify the cost for me. Like one said I’ll go around to the big car shops to see when and if they change theirs out.

Well, they’re pending now, so doesn’t look like I’ll be getting one. Which isn’t the worst thing since my shops not built yet and I really don’t have anywhere to store one.

Yeah well, that's around there. LOL I remember many a time when I BEGGED local shops I worked for to preform maintenance on lifts and I had to end up doing it.
If they fail the inspection, the Ministry of Labour tags it, and it's out of service until the required repairs are completed.

Down here, many lifts are installed outdoors and left there for decades.

I'd prefer to buy a used commercial lift that's been indoors, but that speaks to the durability.

This is what I want-

ARO14-2.jpg

New, it's 30,000 dollars.

As I said, I've seen three used within reasonable driving distance for sale in 5 years for between $2000 and $3000.

Greg Smith Equipment has them at decent prices. A lot of my smaller shops bought them. THey are pretty good quality but if you are buying them for a shop buy the next size up because they will get abused and overloaded. Greg Smith Equipment Lifts

I personally would wait for something newer to come around. The lift I just put in is 5 years old and saw very little use, installed when new by the same company that inspected it and removed it from the shop. With that history, I feel confident it's not going to smush me.

If you do decide to buy one of these $500 lifts, I strongly recommend hiring a pro to do the removal and installation. They can inspect it while they're at it. The money you save with the purchase can go towards paying the professionals and having peace of mind. You can sit back and sip lemonade (or beer) while they're doing all the work.

New lifts are in the $5-8k range realistically. Bendpak is the Cadillac. Sounds like a great deal. Get two & sell one

Greg Smith Equipment has them at decent prices. A lot of my smaller shops bought them. THey are pretty good quality but if you are buying them for a shop buy the next size up because they will get abused and overloaded. Greg Smith Equipment Lifts

They show two (presumably new, as I could find a "used section" unless they are all used) alignment lifts (also called "racks").

One is $8200 and includes turntables.
The listing shows two air jacks bit does not mention them in the text.
Hard to believe they are included as other sites show those jacks for more than $2.5K each.

One is $7300 but there is no text description at all on that one.

Those numbers are a lot more doable for me, and it also says "free shipping" which would likely be a grand for truck freight.

Those are 12K and 14K capacity lifts.
I only really need an 8 or 10K max.

They show two (presumably new, as I could find a "used section" unless they are all used) alignment lifts (also called "racks").

One is $8200 and includes turntables.
The listing shows two air jacks bit does not mention them in the text.
Hard to believe they are included as other sites show those jacks for more than $2.5K each.

One is $7300 but there is no text description at all on that one.

Those numbers are a lot more doable for me, and it also says "free shipping" which would likely be a grand for truck freight.

Those are 12K and 14K capacity lifts.
I only really need an 8 or 10K max.
You must be looking at drive on's? This one has front turntables included I see. Atlas (ATEATPK414A) 14,000 lb. Capacity Commercial Grade, 4-Post Alignment Lift

I don't want a Chinese lift/ thats all those atlas lifts are. If I had to but new it would be a Mohawk.
Look at the newish rotary at work then look at my old weaver. Bigger foot plates and much heavier steel in the columns. No 2 guys are gonna walk mine down on take down or back up on install .... Wouldn't have happened w/o a tractor or forklift. 4 of us had all we could do to set the columns down on my trailer without a big "CRASH" landing......... and our feet were all sliding once the column started to go over.... We had ahold of a 27' long ratchet strap meant for securing a load on a flatbed semi. ..
mohawk is the only new one in that weight range that comes close. But while an atlas can be had for <$2500 new there's a reason a mohawk is 3x that.
I haven't priced the lately but the numbers I show are a few years old.

Both my son and I bought used lifts from the same business. $1500 for the pair. Took them down ourselves. Transported them on an open trailer. Reassembled. Wasn't hard. Both have been in service for us now 15 years. Neither has needed any repair.
Doug

I did have to reseal my cylinders, work was stupid simple and just were cheap. And I got 2 extra pumps (brand new even) included with mine. These are just the pumps themselves not the motor or the reservoir but that's what would go bad if anything anyway.
Mine is a 9000 lb Weaver, made in 1986, out of much heavier steel than anything these days. Symmetrical arms, floor plate which has never been an issue for me. Rotary bought out weaver in 1989.
I also bought a used Weaver back in '95. Built from 3/4 and 1" steel... 4" diameter hydraulic rams, leaf chain in place of wimpy cables. This thing will lift a crew cab dually without any problem and will out last my great grandkids...

I bought my 7000# challenger 2 post out of an old shop that was liquidating and closing. Yes I had to tear it down, get it on a trailer and erect it back at my shop but for $600 I cant beat it and I am not rolling around on the shop floor on a creeper.

I probably would have to wait a bit longer to get a comparable lift if I went with the same quality / ALI certified piece new.

I have a 25 yr old atlas 4 post, 9000lb
never any issues, or problems
treat like a valuable tool it is , and NO ONE will get squished,
my buddy bought a used 8000k similar to mine,
if you make sure its locked when up, no way can you be hurt.
but there is always "that guy"

Atlas and Bendbpak are the budget lines.... Rotary and Mohawks are the Premium brands . Challenger is owned by Snap -On . Advantage is a really good lift for a reasonable price point .
Atlas are a PIA to get parts or support for .

On used lifts check cables , pulleys , plastic guides in columns , lift the arms up and down to make sure the yokes and arms are not hogged out …
listen to the power unit for strange noises as the motors and pumps can start to wear .
Check colums and bridge for twisting or distortion. Check hoses for leaks or weeping from the casing .

If you buy a 500 used lift and it needs Cables , Sheeves ( pulleys) , and hoses you will be into it 2000 easy . Yokes and arms would be another 2000 if you can get them .

I do shop equipment for a living . …. Not much of a living but I digress …lol

The reason I bought a 33 year old Rotary vs a new China lift is because the Rotary are built to last. ALI certified (something most if not all Chinese lifts are not) and it was made in the USA. Bendpacks are decent but they have gone down in quality over the years. I believe the consumer level and maybe even the professional bendpacks are made in China now. Rotary I believe is still made in Madison Indiana.

I buy them all and resale to fund a rebuild of the one I kept. You could possibly end up with a free lift.

-
Back