C body trans to A body fit ?

-

derekm803

Reaction score
Hey. I got a guy here on my local clist says hes got a cable shited trans out of a 65 C body car that came off a 318. Is that a easy fit for a 73 duster? Thanks

Think ill pass on that. Thanks fellers. If anyones interested check the charlotte nc clist for sale and put mopar in the search bar.

How bout a 413 and 727 trans out of a 73 motorhome? Can i slide that down in the Duster?

No must be a small block, that IS what engine you have, right?

Some light motorhomes, generally the ones with the "van" noses will work if they fit the engine.

Some? All? heavier motorhomes have short shaft transmissions, some have an emergency drum on the driveshaft.

I have the /6 in it. Have a mid 80's psrts truck w a 318 & trans in it. I saw the motorhome motor n trans in a classified ad. Its the same year as my car thats why i brought it up.

/6, small block, and big lock bell patterns are all three different.

Hey. I got a guy here on my local clist says hes got a cable shited trans out of a 65 C body car that came off a 318. Is that a easy fit for a 73 duster? Thanks
No. That 63' has the wrong tail shaft, and is a 727/ Then you have to figure out how to shift it. keep looking!

I run a 1962 727 pushbutton trans in my 64 Signet. I simply built a simple trans mount and put the shifter between the seats in a box. Been in my car for almost 30 years

Yeah. Ive learned all three have diff bell housings (thanks dudes) but all 3 of my choices so far are paired with transmissions already. My concern is getting the whole works in the duster

if you go with the BB/727, you will probably need a 727 out of a car (at least the longer tailshaft and housing) and swap the internals between the 2 trannys. Then you will need all the other stuff for the swap... (motor mounts, exhaust, proper oil pan, etc...)

Most info above is correct, except that a 65 C-body has a sliding yoke output, not a ball & trunnion (Detroit) front U-joint. It does have a cable-shift, making it a 1-year only transmission (own one). As stated, a BB bell-housing won't fit a SB.

Also keep in mind your better off with a 68 or newer trans. because the converter register changed size in 68 to 1.81"... 67 and back has a smaller 1.53" register. You can use the 67 or older but you'll need an adaptor.

-
Back