Caliber won't Close

-

1973_Scamp

Reaction score
So I completed front end suspension. Found that brake need to be replace as well. So I took the rotor out for resurface. Put it back on, new brake pad, attach caliber, finish all bleeding as require. But the caliber will not close or grab onto the rotor, even with engine on too......It seem like it doesn't want to compress...at all
Help
Scamp

Attachments

• Driver Disc Brake Before.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 252
  • Driver Disc Brake After.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 249
  • Open gap.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 260
So I completed front end suspension. Found that brake need to be replace as well. So I took the rotor out for resurface. Put it back on, new brake pad, attach caliber, finish all bleeding as require. But the caliber will not close or grab onto the rotor, even with engine on too......It seem like it doesn't want to compress...at all
Help
Scamp

Are you saying the caliper piston will not move? If it will bleed easily and you have all the air out of the lines then you must have a bad caliper.

Tell more about the whole situation. Is this a change over you are doing as an upgrade or is this a repair on your car that has all of its original parts?

Are you saying the caliper piston will not move? If it will bleed easily and you have all the air out of the lines then you must have a bad caliper.

Tell more about the whole situation. Is this a change over you are doing as an upgrade or is this a repair on your car that has all of its original parts?

xs2, sounds like the piston has frozen up

is there some reason your bolt on the caliper hold down is not tight possible binding 2nd picture I don't know

is there some reason your bolt on the caliper hold down is not tight possible binding 2nd picture I don't know

Good eye. There is a reason for that guide to be there.
It certianly could cause a binding issue and not let the caliper move.
If it worked before you worked on it then recheck everything you did.

The bolt should by flat when tight, no gap, it probably is cross threaded. But I dout that is your problem on the piston deal. Do you have a full brake pedal? If so he piston is froze. Pedal is soft or goes to the floor you have air in the system. How did you compress the piston back in the caliper?

Solve it.
2nd picture, top left corner. 2 plates were misaligned. Realigned 2 plates and everything work well now.
Thanks, FABO

Solve it.
2nd picture, top left corner. 2 plates were misaligned. Realigned 2 plates and everything work well now.
Thanks, FABO

That is why I said "If it worked before you worked on it then recheck everything you did." I have been there and done that more times that I can remember. A departed friend of mine always told me to use the KISS program..... Keep It Simple Stupid... I learned a lot from that friend.

There is no better than experience and learning by doing it, that is how you get experience. Good job.

Solve it.
Thanks, FABO

I thought something didn't look quite right but couldn't tell by the picture.
what it was.Glad to help solve your problem.Most times it's pretty simple just an oversight.

If you wouldn't have posted pictures some people whould have had you rebuilding the entire system good job doing that.Life is simple but alot of people like to make it more complicated than it really is our goverment past-present-future is a prime example of that

one thing confuses me.. why did you have to bleed the brake if you only replaced the pad?? have I been doing something wrong all these years?

one thing confuses me.. why did you have to bleed the brake if you only replaced the pad?? have I been doing something wrong all these years?

No. you have not.
I hope that anti rattle plate is down where it belongs now.
2nd pic, upper left corner.

Attachments

• Driver%20Disc%20Brake%20After.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 219
The flexible brake hose may be the problem. They can collapse internally and not allow the caliper piston to return. It happened to me one two different cars.

Do you get brake fluid out of the bleeder when you have someone hold the brake pedal down and open the bleeder on that wheel?

Solve it.
Thanks, FABO

I tried this too but it will not close. All come to alignment...

You should never push the break pedal down with the caliper being attached to the car like it belongs. That is the way to push the piston out of the caliper and making more problems.

Now I am confused. Is the car repaired or still have problems?

You should never push the break pedal down with the caliper being attached to the car like it belongs. That is the way to push the piston out of the caliper and making more problems.

Now I am confused. Is the car repaired or still have problems?

Everything is fix now. It was all misalignment with the 2 plates of the caliber....Test drive and everything is good now...

Thanks,
Scamp

-
Back