Caliper Help!!

-

NJDartman

Reaction score
I'm trying to rebuild a set of 4 piston kelsey-hayes calipers. The fittings are so rusted, I can't get them out no matter what I do. I've tried every lube on the market from WD40 to PB. they won't budge. I'm chewing them up with the vise grips. I guess I'll have to drill them out and re-tap them. Does anybody know the thread size for new fittings and bleeders? Thanks!

Best plan might be to gauge the threads on the new bleeders. etc..
I think you'll find them to be NF bolt threads.
Use a flat bottom tap so you dont scar the seat suface in bottom of bleeder hole !

WD 40 is not a penetrating oil. Recommend a product called Kroil. Very good penetrating lube. Let soak for a couple of hours before going forward. If you really have the bleeders fouled up, find a LH thread drill bit that is slightly smaller than the bleeder hole in the caliper. Use a reversible cord type electric drill (need LOTS of torque), set to rotate counter clockwise. If all works properly, the bleeder will crawl up the drill bit. (Do not push the drill bit in too far as this will damage the bleeder seat in the caliper.) If this does not happen, use a thread chaser to clean up the hole for a new bleeder. Clean the caliper thoroughly before re-assembly.

Try using oxy/acetelyne torches to heat the caliper a little the the bleeder should come out nice & easy.

Ya Kroil is good stuff, used to use on froze up steam turbine bolts that hadn't been loosened in 10 years. I said "used to" cuss I don't do that crap anymore.

Terry

heat the fittings and then tap them with a hammer from the top....

OMG I just got the Kroil in the mail, went right in the garage to try it out. The fittings came right off with a little bit of massaging! This stuff is fantabulous!! Thanks guys for recommending it!! Liquid wrench be damned..:bootysha:<-------here's to you liquid wrench!

-
Back