Calipers, Micrometers...

-

71DartGuy

Reaction score
Who can tell me who makes a good pair/set of outside micrometers and digital calipers? I would like to get a few quality tools before I start on the stroker.. Thanks!

you'll get what you pay for. Nobody offers better measuring instruments than Brown & Sharp. I wont use a digital instruments. I prefer mechanical dial indicaters.

Starrett 1st, Mitutoyo 2nd, and I refuse to use any digital mics period. If you can't read the thimble or dial I wouldn't put my trust in a $2 battery when rebuilding a 2K plus engine or anything for that matter. Oh yea, I've been using mics and other measuring devices in all shapes and sizes for over 30 years. This little 4" puppy is one of my favorites, great for measureing bolts and hole depths and such where .001-.002" accuracy is allowed.

Terry

P1010043 (Small).JPG

I agree that Starrett is best, with Mitutoyo 2nd. BUT -- measuring tools are only as good as the operator.

I have Mitutoyo micrometers and digital (yes, digital!) calipers. They work fine. I was a machinist for 10 years and I checked my digital calipers against my micrometers. They work fine, but they are only good for rough measurements (within about .002"). You don't want to be checking bearing clearances with them. Same goes for dial calipers.

Whatever you buy, make sure you know how to use them properly. If you don't know, get somebody who does to show you how.

Good luck!

Great. Thanks for the input. I actually called my brother who is an engineer with RObert Bosch corp. and he said the same thing. Starrett first, Mitutoyo second. That pretty much says it all. Now the hunt begins! Oh, and I'll be sure to stay away from the digital!!

Digital mics and calipers use a non contact optical measuring system that is more consistent and accurate than mechanical equivalents over time. Where the threads or gears can wear with time especially in spots where they are used a lot a digital will be accurate until it breaks or dies.

That being said I have a 1" Brown and Sharp mic that is over 40 years old and the numbers are almost worn off the barrel but every time I have it checked its still in spec.

I would purchase based on personal preference. I have a Brown and Sharp 6" mechanical caliper and a 6" Mitutoyo digital caliper. Once I started using the digital I prefer it over the mechanical.

-
Back