call me crazy !?

-

j par

Well-hung Member
Reaction score
I just bought a brand new driveline for the eight and a quarter rear end and now that I'm going to the eight and three quarter I would love to be able to use that one without having it cut down .66 of an inch?
so my crazy idea is to put half inch spacers in the area where the spring plate connects on front of spring and hopefully rear dropouts will allow a half inch swing backwards? also this will cure a very close tolerance between the tire and the front of the rear tire well. does this sound out of line ?

If your talking about shimming the front spring brackets where they bolt up you can. Make sure the studs are long enough, check the angle of the shocks as the rear is moved back, and check the angle of the rear shackles.

If your talking about shimming the front spring brackets where they bolt up you can. Make sure the studs are long enough, check the angle of the shocks as the rear is moved back, and check the angle of the rear shackles.
I get some pretty hair brain ideas sometimes. some of them I implemented and some of them not so much. I'll chalk this up as a vote for not crazy?

Not uncommon at all....a lot of people did this to shove the axle back and I have heard of as much as 3/4 " with a block.

A put a 1/2" spacer in front of my springs. Used a piece of 1/2" aluminum block.
C

Typically the studs will only accept about a 1/4 spacer.If you need more, you will need to punch out the studs, fabricate metal blocks and fit longer bolts.
Alternatively you can move the axle back on the perches, by elongating the locating holes in the perches. keep your eye on the rear shackle angle. I had to move mine back, as the springs were de-arched and rather flat and long.
Also, as mentioned, keep an eye out for the shocks getting into the gastank.
And yes, it centers the axle in the wheelhouse to make room for 28plus inchers.

If this is a drag car measure from the axle housing fwd to torsion bar cross member. You may have to use different thickness to get the rear end straight. Car will track straight when you do a burnout.

No gas tank - fuel cell . Keep it coming - I'm learning stuff .
Thank you ...

-
Back