cam and carb suggestions

-

grease monkey 73

Reaction score
Hey guys im building a mild318 for my daily driver I have a 74 block that's goin to be bored .30 over stock crank and rods flat top pistons a set of "302" heads I plan on porting n polishing a stock 4bbl intake Im goin to port match to the heads from what I have read a stock 360 hi pro cam would work well with this set up.
1 what do yall think?
2 If yes what are the specs on that cam?
3 What size carb would you recommend?
4 and what kind of horsepower numbers do you think it should make?

Auto or Stick? What rear gears? How tall are your tires? What do you plan on doing with the car? I see you said daily driver but are you more for mileage or a stop light to stop light?

Auto Trans rebuilding an 8.25 goin to be sure grip 3.21 dont know what size tires yet was thinking around a245 50 16 or something would like decent mileage but still be able to have alittle fun at the local drag strip on weekends I guess a bit of both worlds would be nice

A 600cfm carb will be plenty. Which auto tranny you using? 200R4,727,or 904? Also go to the local pull a part for a 96and older jeep and pull the rear disc brakes (grab everything including m/c and prop valve) its a bolt on deal with the 8.25 rears and do a quick check for a limited slip rear and you might get lucky and find some spare gears like 3.55s.
Cam wise something between 220-231 (@50) duration with .484" lift will work pretty good for what you want. But I'm sure others will post some better options (these specs where the first thing to pick in my mind). What exhaust are you going to use manifolds or headers (if you go headers Doug's headers and TTi will fit the best).

I have a 904 that needs rebuilt but was wanting to go with something with overdrive to help with mileage. any thoughts on what trans I should go with and what I can pull one out of? I'm glad you told me it was a 96 or older Jeep cause I was planning on that swap but I was thinking it would be a newer model

A couple of cuts and a little fab work to make a cross member you can mount a GM 200R4 (it's an o/d tranny and doesn't require major tranny tunnel surgery). If you do a quick search for Mopar to ya, you'll find a tread about him installing the 200R4 into his a body. You can easily find the 200R4 in mid 80s GM G-Bodies (regals, monte Carlos, cutlass, grand prix). You'll need an adaptor which you can get from either TCI or wilcap.

Can you post a link to the 8 1/4 disk swap?

I'm going to get an SG 8 1/4 cop axle soon, and easy rear disk would be cool.

Hey guys im building a mild318 for my daily driver I have a 74 block that's goin to be bored .30 over stock crank and rods flat top pistons a set of "302" heads I plan on porting n polishing a stock 4bbl intake Im goin to port match to the heads from what I have read a stock 360 hi pro cam would work well with this set up.
1 what do yall think?
2 If yes what are the specs on that cam?
3 What size carb would you recommend?
4 and what kind of horsepower numbers do you think it should make?

ISKY 260/260
A metering rod carb..... (Tquad, rottenchester, AFB, Edelbrock, AVS)
250-275HP

If it is the "340" cam, it would be the 268/276, 421/440 or something near there. They have a real wide lobe center, very mild cam, no real hit anywhere. Runs good but idles kinda hot and, for the most part, compared to other cams, like the isky I posted, kinda.... lame.

Good cam, sure, just not the best MPG, not the best HP, no low end torque really..... Bleah..... For an example, the 268/276 voodoo is huge compared to the stock 340 auto cam, but yet builds more torque.

For an every day driver, I would stay away from cams with wide lobe centers, (idle heat and less MPG), cams build to utilize the "big lifters", (harder on valvetrain) Cams with over 480 lift, and cams with longer EX lobe duration. (less torque for a 318, worse MPG)

Just my opinion.

Hey yy1 i don't know how to post a link but from what I have read the Jeep disc brake swap is a complete bolt on if u can get brackets calipers backing plates and check if its a limited slip gears cause they are supposed to work in a 8.25 too

-
Back