Cam bearing oil hole alignment

-

Trevor B

Reaction score
Just got my 360 block back from the machine shop and was going to begin assembly when I noticed that the 2nd cam bearing hole was not perfectly aligned. The machinist installed the new cam bearings. Is this a deal-breaker?

20161211_101258.jpg

20161211_101346.jpg

That bothers me. I'm kind of anal about top end oiling and take efforts to encourage it to be better on everything I build that uses the factory top end oiling. They are sometimes off "side-to-side" because the holes are not exactly perfect in the block. That looks like it's a little off side to side, but was also driven in too far. Whether that's actually a problem is up to you and your machinist.

I personally would not worry about that level of misalignment, though it is as far as I would want to go. If you work through all the oil flow restrictions in the oiling path to the heads, this hole's flow area is still >50% larger than the area of the smallest restriction in the oil flow path into the rockers, which is where the rocker hold-down bole goes through the oil passage hole in the bottom of the rocker shaft. I'd expect maybe a few percent reduction in flow, if any.

Not going to hurt a thing. I use to work in a machine shop & that little misalignment will not make any difference. If it was half way covered up;that would be a deal breaker.Build on !

You'll just piss off the machinist for no good reason. :D
Seen motors with multi hundred thousand miles on em that were not that aligned.

You could get a right angle mini die grinder to fix the problem but I wouldn't want stray bearing material ( bearing slivers) in the oiling system. Leave it as it is. Not an issue.

If this warranted concern the Dodge Brothers would have oblonged those holes in the castings many many years ago.

I install my own camshaft bearings. If I knocked one in like that, I would straighten it out. I don't think it will be an issue, but, "I" would fix it.

If this warranted concern the Dodge Brothers would have oblonged those holes in the castings many many years ago.

The oil holes are machined, not cast into the block.

Regarding the OP's issue, I wouldn't sweat that one. It's not that bad. When I was a machinist, if they were way off, I would run a long drill down the oil galley and enlarge the oil hole in the bearing, then deburr the hole and re-wash the block.

I didn't say the holes were cast in the block. I said "oblonged in the casting" ( like with a mill instead a drill ) as opposed to oblonged in the bearing.

-
Back