Cam degree question

-

4spdragtop

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Never degreed a cam before. Can I do it with cam, lifters and new TC setup with no heads installed? Heads arent ready to install yet.
Thanks
Steve

I used an old alternator bracket fastened between 2 head bolts with another bolt in the middle to use as the stop. Ugly but functional.

Its actually easier if you measure before you get to top dead center. All you have to do is split the difference. I'm guessing you are going to start by finding top dead center and then use a magnetic dial indicator on the cam to see where the events fall.

Another thing Steve. You'll need to have an indicator setup to show the #1 INTAKE lifter lobe since you won't have rockers on.
Most don't have a long enough indicator tip and use a lifter to iindicate to.

Set up a dial indicator on top of the piston. Roll it to the top and zero out the dial. Have the wheel on with a pointer somewhere around where 0 should be

Turn crank counter clockwise, then go back clockwise and stop at .050 short of top, note where pointer is on wheel.

Turn crank counter clockwise and bring it up to the same .050 level, note where pointer is. TDC is right in the middle of those two noted points.

DO NOT roll it over the top and measure pulling the piston down for the second reading. You can roll it over the top and run it down the hole .100, then come back up. Always measure with the arm approaching TDC in each direction.

Once you have it set, do the same thing to verify TDC. Takes a couple minutes and simple.

Extensions for the dial indicator are cheap and available on amazon/internet

Last edited:
For the lifter business, if you have 2 good used ones, (flat tappet) disassemble them internally and join them together, contact surface away from each other. Use as the dial contact point.
100_2847.JPG

100_3263.JPG

Yep, two old lifters, super glue them together, top to top.

Nice big surface to set indicator and shortens the stem length.

Thanks guys, great info. I may splurge on a 2nd indicator. I don't have any old lifters to use unfortunately.
Appreciate it! :thumbsup:

Thanks guys, do they have to be flat tappet?
Princess Auto has their dial indicator and magnetic base on sale....
I hope to be near one tomorrow picking up a goodie for the build.
https://www.princessauto.com/en/0-to-1-in-dial-indicator/product/PA0002970986
https://www.princessauto.com/en/dial-indicator-magnetic-base/product/PA0002944460
For the lifter business, if you have 2 good used ones, (flat tappet) disassemble them internally and join them together, contact surface away from each other. Use as the dial contact point.
View attachment 1716021935

View attachment 1716021937

Hey Bro....I can mail you 2 lifters and an extra indicator if you want......I've got plenty:)

Yes, using X heads open chamber. Pistons are 2332P.030. I'm doing a DIY port job on them. I was going to get a few Killer Carbides, but shipping kills it unfortunately.
I don’t know what cylinder head you are using but if they are open chambers then that .030 out of the deck is FAR a better than .000 deck.

Yes, using X heads open chamber. Pistons are 2332P.030. I'm doing a DIY port job on them. I was going to get a few Killer Carbides, but shipping kills it unfortunately.

Well that sucks because there are no other carbide burrs out there that are even close to Greg’s stuff.

-
Back