Cam Question

-

440superduster

Reaction score
I am in the process of either building a new engine or buying a creat motor.
I spoke with CM engines today and asked about puttting a roller in one of thier motors and was told not to that the cam would wear out in about 10,000 miles or less .

was wanting to know if that is true. I know that flay tappets are having a problem but what is causing the roller problem?

Take your business elsewhere. They are saying that for one of a couple reasons: They don't know enough about how they work or how they need to be set up. or... They don't feel they have the expertise to install it and stand behind thier work.

In either case, move on.

Roller cams need a bronze gear on the oil pump drive because of the material of the cam blank (billet steel, not cast). Those drives can wear ou in as few as 3500 miles, or last much longer. Solid rollers use a thurst bearing on teh front to limit travel laterally in the block, and solid roller lifters generally need to be rebuilt after about 6K street miles, more if there' a lot of idle time and it's a large roller (needing over 550lbs or more open spring pressures) There is special machining better shops do for solid roller cam engines too. I would find another shop.

I'll second Mopers advice..find another engine builder,roller cams are the cats arse,i'm stepping up to a solid cam this offseason myself..

-
Back