Cam questions

-

Joel Chapman

Reaction score
So I am trying to install my new comp cam in my 360 and it has no woodruff key on it, and the instructions say nothing both transferring or installing a key. Is this something I still need to do? Been trying to call their tech line but have been on hold for 20 and 30 mins each time.

Also which company makes a cam degree wheel that fits a crank bolt for small block mopar?

Well yeah. It's gotta have a key otherwise the cam sprocket will spin on the camshaft. They don't install a key because that's your job. They don't know WHAT key you might use as there are many different ones. There's the zero key and a number of offset keys that tailor camshaft timing, so it's not included, since they don't know what you will end up with. If all you're going to do is just install it straight up without degreeing it, just swap over the key from the cam you're removing.

So I am trying to install my new comp cam in my 360 and it has no woodruff key on it, and the instructions say nothing both transferring or installing a key. Is this something I still need to do? Been trying to call their tech line but have been on hold for 20 and 30 mins each time.

Also which company makes a cam degree wheel that fits a crank bolt for small block mopar?

You need a crank socket that accepts a degree wheel. Don't get an aluminum one.

Well yeah. It's gotta have a key otherwise the cam sprocket will spin on the camshaft. They don't install a key because that's your job. They don't know WHAT key you might use as there are many different ones. There's the zero key and a number of offset keys that tailor camshaft timing, so it's not included, since they don't know what you will end up with. If all you're going to do is just install it straight up without degreeing it, just swap over the key from the cam you're removing.
I get all that was just surprised they did not say anything about it in the instructions.

I get all that was just surprised they did not say anything about it in the instructions.

I "guess" they figure it goes without sayin......I agree it would have been nice to at least reference it, wouldn't it?

Comp has been slippin for several years now. It's like everything else though......big box parts stores are another big example. The more the customer knows, the better off he is. You better have part numbers and know what you need ahead of time. Pitiful, really.

The Woodruff key is the same as used in a Pontiac. Since you are in Cal, you could try Rock & Roll engineering [ Bruce Fulper ] if you cannot find one.

-
Back