cam/TC/rear gear/tire size combos

-

dkbug

Reaction score
Sorry if this isn't in the right spot. I just got my 440 put together and am tossing around what combination I want to run. I have a 440/727 284/.528 MP purple shaft with a stock 11" torque converter at the moment. I currently have 3.23 open gears in my 8 3/4 and am about to redo everything.

Curious if I can keep my 3.23's and still have some good ground pounding power with a 2800 stall converter.

What are you guys running?

Hard to guess without knowing everything else about your engine. If it's a mid to late 70's ultra low compression 440 with a single plane intake that cam and stock exhaust manifolds no it won't be a ground pounder. If it's 11 to 1 compression, dual plane intake with headers yes it should work ok.

It's a 76 block with 67 heads. just under 11:1 compression .30 over. dual place intake 750 carb with tri-y headers.

You want your convertor to stall at or within 500rpm over where you make peak torque. On a street car this isn't' always possible.

How many the inches the convertor is doesn't tell us anything. Stall speed does, IF it was made for your engine.

If you are redoing everything pick your gears, get a dyno sheet if you can and have a custom convertor made. Dynamic..etc.

With no overdrive a 3:55 or 3:73 makes for a good street gear choice. With an OD 4:10 to 4:30's are nice. I say that because I like to be about 2500RPM at 60mph.

I run a 3500 convertor.

My combo is a 440, 727, GVOD, 4:56 gears, 3500 stall.

3.23 gears should work ok providing your not running tires taller than 28". The 2800 stall converter will work ok but is lower than optimum for your setup. 3200-3500 would do much better

Yeah I am having my spring relocation kit put in this weekend and next week I will start experimenting with tires. I want to run the biggest tire possible without a tub. Any of you guys know that size for a 70 dart?

Without at least mini-tubbing your Dart, you have way more motor than can be tamed with tires. It will be a tyre-fryer for sure.
I thing the general answer is 275s. But they have to be carefully centered.
I teener,with modest gears,can smoke those, lol .
Your current combo can probably smoke those starting in second, with those 3.23s.

Yeah I am having my spring relocation kit put in this weekend and next week I will start experimenting with tires. I want to run the biggest tire possible without a tub. Any of you guys know that size for a 70 dart?

Why do the spring relocation without doing the tubs? Just do an offset shackle kit.

Regardless with the stock tubs in your car you can run a 10.5" section width or a 275 but the backspacing is critical.

biggest tire I could fit was 245/60-15 without bending the inside lip of the quarter panels .All 3 f my Darts have been the same ,70 340 , 72 318 and 70 340

biggest tire I could fit was 245/60-15 without bending the inside lip of the quarter panels .All 3 f my Darts have been the same ,70 340 , 72 318 and 70 340

The first restriction is the leaf spring, not the inner well.

That outer lip if not wider than the factory trim (which it can be) is even with the upper recessed portion above it. Trim the quarter to match the trim.

Here are 275's under an uncut unrolled 69. Just an offset kit.

Attachments

• gas tank.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 72
-
Back