cam timing and vacuum

-

LJ67barracuda340

Reaction score
I'm wondering if any one has seen a change in cam timing (advance of retard) affect engine vacuum. I know that the lobe separation angle is the major factor but with a given cam would retarding or advancing it make a change. I'd like a little more vac with my 110* cam but I'm not changing to a different one, just willing to tweak it. It idles around 11" to 13" @ 850 rpm.
Larry

Does it have 4degrees advance ground into it? Was it degreed in. U will have to advance it to get more vacuum. What do u have for a cam? Specs? Kim

Very, very generally - Advancing the camshafts ICL will add idle vacuum. Retarding it will remove idle vacuum. But if you have to advance it for the purposes of improving idle vacuum, it's probably time to reconsider the cam choice...

Very, very generally - Advancing the camshafts ICL will add idle vacuum. Retarding it will remove idle vacuum. But if you have to advance it for the purposes of improving idle vacuum, it's probably time to reconsider the cam choice...
I was thinking that the FITECH might like to see a little more vac and run a bit cleaner at idle but it hadn't fully learned yet when I had to go inside again. Probably just over thinking things again. I'll stick with what I've got. It ran strong but I just need to keep the bearings in her. thanks Larry

-
Back