cam timing

-

ian

Reaction score
410 indy headed cnc -1 245 intake runner , cam flat tappet 259/265 @ 050 590 lift and 109 lobe c install 105 , 904 ,5000 stall ,low gear set ,3.9 rear ,26/10 3550 lbs it ran 10.95 @122 asp and 10.30@132 with a sniff now would retarding this cam improve et or not say 112 in stall moving the power band up ,seem to be out of puff at 6700 .

I spoke about retarding and advancing cams with a well known grinder one time who was also an avid drag racer,he said out of all the cams,cars,engines ect. hes only had one that actually liked being retarded beyond straight up and it was an unusual grind to begin with.From your post Im assuming your cam has a 109 lsa and is installed on a 105 intake centerline?.If this is correct I would say you could set it at 109/109-or "striaght up" which should move the power band up a couple hundred or so rpm but beyond that I would get a different grind if you still need more.

thanks for the reply s ,i have a roller cam that i will install in it soon , this will fix it for shore ,would be interesting to try the cam strait up and see before i pull it apart

I think it's more than likely out of cam... That one would make a mean street camshaft. As was suggested... try tightening the lash. If it revs cleaner try retarding it but dont be surprised if it doesnt do much. You're only opening the valves about .545 assuming .020 lash and the usual pushrod angles. You may also try tightening the convertor. 5K is pretty high for a 4" engine with that cam. You'd be better off with cam, more gear, and less convertor IMO.

I think it's more than likely out of cam... That one would make a mean street camshaft. As was suggested... try tightening the lash. If it revs cleaner try retarding it but dont be surprised if it doesnt do much. You're only opening the valves about .545 assuming .020 lash and the usual pushrod angles. You may also try tightening the convertor. 5K is pretty high for a 4" engine with that cam. You'd be better off with cam, more gear, and less convertor IMO.
the new cam is 268/276@050 700 lift the converter should be close and 4.3 gears shift 7200

-
Back