camber shims

-

Mrkidd

Reaction score
has anyone ran camber shims on a 8.25 rear end with a 4.50 ?....im looking for around -3 camber in the rear....the reason is i need my rims to tuck they are alil to wide and i dont want to shortan the axle...or roll the fenders...does anyone no a way the specs on the rear wheels are 15x8 -28 offset....
Where can i get these made...?

has anyone ran camber shims on a 8.25 rear end with a 4.50 ?....im looking for around -3 camber in the rear....the reason is i need my rims to tuck they are alil to wide and i dont want to shortan the axle...or roll the fenders...does anyone no a way the specs on the rear wheels are 15x8 -28 offset....
Where can i get these made...?

No such thing as a camber adjustmet on a solid rear axle, that's FWD stuff. You're out of luck unless you do one of the things you said above or resort to a mini tub or some sort of spring relocation to gain more clearance.

ive been doing some research and the scions have a solid rear axle and if im correct so do the VW bugs....and they have kits..
http://www.realcamber.com/
Check out the link..
i dont think a spring relocator and mini tubin will help because its hitting the outside fender only...

It sounds like you need a deeper backspace on your wheels to push them away from the wheelwell lip and in closer to the springs. What make and year car are you working on?

ive been doing some research and the scions have a solid rear axle and if im correct so do the VW bugs....and they have kits..
Check out the link..
i dont think a spring relocator and mini tubin will help because its hitting the outside fender only...

Scions are FWD. They are NOT shimming a DRIVEN solid axles. They are just putting a wedge between the housing and the bearing. And it will wear the heck out of the tires for what those Scion idiots are doing for just on a street car. One of their big reasons on that site is for the "look". What a bunch of dufus posers.

VW Bugs have independent suspension rear. Same for front.

You can camber a solid rear axles. They do it in circle track and road racing. But only like 1/4 to 1/2 degrees. And it will wear stock type axles out. Not something for the street. They have egg shaped spined axle ends that can run a little more camber but will not last the milage on a street car driven 10K miles. Custom $$$ race stuff.

Bottom line, find another way to fix you tire clearance issue.

Check out the link..

FWD cars that DO have so-called solid rear axles don't have axle shafts. They are just spindles on the end of a bar - like a trailer. One could weld on a spindle in any way one wants because there is nothing in the middle that has to turn. On a RWD car, the axle goes from the center to the wheel. The only way to affect any alignment settings would be to offset the wheel bearing in the end of the housing, as mentioned, and this would not be either good or worthwhile. Also as mentioned, you probably need to get a different back-spacing.

you can't camber rear tires with a solid axle. even if you could, you would lose traction anyways because the tire wouldn't sit on the ground right. you need different rims.

thanks...i guess i have to send the wheels in the get the backspacing changed....or flare the fenders....

thanks...i guess i have to send the wheels in the get the backspacing changed....or flare the fenders....

What car is it and what size tires are you trying to fit? 4.5 to 4.25 is about the max backspacing an 8.25 rear stock A-body can take before the tire hits the leaf spring.

He said that: specs on the rear wheels are 15x8 -28 offset ... don't know what -28 means though.

Don't quote me on this but a -28 could be something like under 4" of back space on an 8' rim.....(?)

So he wants to tilt the top of the tire inside the fender so they will fit?!

He wants the rear tires to look like this .... /-o-\ (viewed from the rear)...

Won't work. Get new wheels.

Don't quote me on this but a -28 could be something like under 4" of back space on an 8' rim.....(?)

Spose he could just bend the entire axle housing as if it was in a truck carrying way too much weight, or on a desert run and came down too hard ... but short of that (very very bad ideas BTW) ...

its a 69 dart the tire size it a 225 65 15
i might have to go down to a 60 series in the rear...
and 1968 is correct my wheels will look like that....but im not racing it just a cruzer i clear the leaf buy a ton its just rubbing the fenders...and they are shaved

I agree.

15x8 with -28 offset is 3.4" backspace. THAT is what is killing him. Need new rims with like 4.25 backspace. But that will depends a little on the tires he's running.

really cool tire/rim calculator: http://www.bigcustomwheels.com/rt_specs.jsp

and 1968 is correct my wheels will look like that....but im not racing it just a cruzer i clear the leaf buy a ton its just rubbing the fenders...and they are shaved

What we are telling you is that you CAN'T do it. The car has a solid rear end. I'm all for you import guys coming over to the old school side but when you do..... You need to leave some of that import stuff behind.

Just to clarify...... You can't do it (tilt the tires) in any way that it will survive any street miles unless you completely change the rear end and suspension.... For example.... Converting to an independent rear suspension....

In short... Your options are....

Convert to independent for that /-o-\ look.

or

Flare the rear fenders.

or

Jack the rear way up so the body sits over the wheels.

or

Spring relocation and shorten the rear end.

or

Get wheels that fit.

Really, just get wheels that fit and be done with it.

You have a ton a room between the tire and leaf because the rim don't have enough backspace.

Run 4" to 4.5" backspace 15x8 rims with those tires and it will fit easy.

-
Back