Camping at Carlisle?

-

KosmicKuda

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I was about to register for Carlisle 2024 (-20%) and saw the option for camping. I've always stayed in hotels and last year's was terrible because the hotel we usually stay at suddenly closed a month before the event. Not much to choose from at that point so had a bad experience.

I was wondering how the camping experience was for people who have done it.

The guys in the swap space next to mine camp every year. They bring a camper, so there's that.
The down side is they lock the gates at 9:00pm so if you're in, you're in and if you're out, you're screwed.
If you want to camp and are in the show area I think the camping is just out of the gate across from the school. I've never camped there, but I understand the hotel situation as well.
I usually stay in Shippensburg and never had an issue.

Camping on the grounds is pretty basic. You may have access to electricity but not water. There are a couple of bathrooms with showers on the fairgrounds, but don't know how close they would be to your campsite. There are a couple nearby campgrounds. Western Village campground in Carlisle is probably closest and is set up for RV or tent camping. Its close to where many staying in Carlisle would be going for restaurants for dinner. Mountain Creek campground is about fifteen minutes away from Carlisle, but its a much more picturesque setting and you could get a campsite right next to the creek. But, keep in mind that being a Carlisle event weekend, you could end up with noisy neighbors. Probably more car show participants at Western Village due to its close proximity.

To me camping is with a tent and a camp fire. Camping is roughing it not having the convenience of home.

To me camping is with a tent and a camp fire. Camping is roughing it not having the convenience of home.

I get that. But, with three long, hot, July days walking miles to cover every inch of Chrysler Carlisle, there's a certain appeal to having air conditioning and the comforts of home at the end of the day.

I get that. But, with three long, hot, July days walking miles to cover every inch of Chrysler Carlisle, there's a certain appeal to having air conditioning and the comforts of home at the end of the day.
I can understand that 100%

I remember camping out of my van at Carlisle the year that it was 106 degrees, and 102 the other 2 days... I don't think I'd try that again...

If you don't mind a bit of driving I've been staying in Shippensburg - lower prices, some nice hotels.

I'm talking tent camping of course. (Father of 2 Eagle Scouts)
But I've slept in the back of FB Barracudas too many times to count. Sometimes at drag strips I'll park the cuda with a car cover, crawl inside and nobody even knows I'm there. I used a tent 2 times last year.

It sounds like an actual campground rather than the fairground would be best for me. I'll check into it.

-
Back