Can 904 Trany fit 400 engine?

-

tayres1

Reaction score
I have a 400 - 1973 engine that I want to load into a 1971 S6 body. Its been years since I took on this type of challenge. I would like to use the 904 trany but can't remember if they will work together. I have the motor apart now and starting the rebuild on the body. I need some help here... THANKS

No. Not without milling off the bell housing and bolting on a special replacement. 904 = small block or slant 6. Both of those are also different.

I was correct then, I had a guy tell me that it would bolt up. I was looking for a 727 at the time. I figured that I will be changing the rear end too...LOL! I want to install a Dana but have not found the information on what WILL fit... Do you have any website that can help me with this information?

Too make it a bit more complicated for you, the 727 comes in both SB and BB. Make sure you get the right one.

use the search function in the trans/drivetrain section...it does work if you open up your search terms...

If you want a Dana in your Duster, unless you happen upon a hemi A car, you'll have to relocate the perches, and most likely crop the tubes to fit it. You looking to build up the 400 a good bit though? Dana's a bad *** rear for certain, but it's also heavy and very costly--can you use an 8 3/4 or possibly swap in a Ford 8.8? There's a few folks on here using them with measurable success.

I want to install a Dana but have not found the information on what WILL fit... Do you have any website that can help me with this information?

An A Body Dana will fit.

A B Body Dana will fit but you'll need new wheels.

In all honesty just buy a new Dana. They weigh the same as a stock 8.75 if you have it cut to the minimum width that will fit in the car. The Tru-trac or S-trac is hard to beat as well. The price is very reasonable and comparable to a rehabbed stock 8.75.

Attachments

• dana1.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 206
No kidding? How much for a new Dana? The ones I'd looked into were over $2k...I guess by that rationale, they are the same price as a disc to disc ready to bolt in 8 3/4...

^^^If I remember they go for $3000-ish depending on what you want.

Look up JW bell housings. That is where I got a bell conversion when putting a 518 behind a big block.

The stocker & super stocker guys convert the internals of a 727 to 904, to take advantage of the less rotating weight.

No kidding? How much for a new Dana? The ones I'd looked into were over $2k...I guess by that rationale, they are the same price as a disc to disc ready to bolt in 8 3/4...

Mine was 3200ish.

take a 8.75 and .....

new straps
Paint
oil
Big bolt axles
Posi replace or rebuild
gears of your choice
brakes

Let me know where you end up when you ad that to the going rate of about 1,000 for a 8 3/4.

...glad I got a better deal for my pieced together 8 3/4 (s).

With what I paid and prices I know I can nail down, I'd be sitting just shy of $2k for a fully assembled 8 3/4, new disc to disc kit, rebuilt SG, new gears, dr diff axles, paint, and lube. The only variable I don't know off the cuff is the assembly of the pig itself with the new parts...so I'll toss in an extra $200...friend discount...

Mine was 3200ish.

take a 8.75 and .....

new straps
Paint
oil
Big bolt axles
Posi replace or rebuild
gears of your choice
brakes

Let me know where you end up when you ad that to the going rate of about 1,000 for a 8 3/4.

I've got an E body 8 3/4 diff with an open center and to honest it's just cheaper for me to modify a 31 spline Ford 9 inch and fit it to the car , than it is to try and get an LSD for it..Second hand LSD centers are just ridiculous money for me to obtain these days.

I had a friend tell me about a 72 Cuda that was in a junk yard near here, He thinks that the rear end is still under it. I found a rear end in a 70 Hemi Charger in the same junk yard and felt sorry for the car, valve covers were not there and the car was rust totally away (no trany).

I will need to find out what 727 trany that I will need for that 400!

You mean for your '71 Duster? Have you checked the classifieds? Or possibly craigslist near your local area?

Check out Tony DeFeo...(whitepunkonnitro)

I just saw one under his name a few minutes ago...Lee Robinson is another good one...

-
Back