Can a HEI coil trigger a Mopar ECU?

-

Demonic

Reaction score
So. my other "Mopar" besides the Charger and the Demon is a 71 Jeepster Commando. I recently swapped to an HEI on the Dauntless V6 ( yes, the odd-fire) and I'm a little let down. As it already has a 69 unsilenced air cleaner and a Coronet Day/Night mirror - can I fire plugs with the HEI wired into the Mopar box? Anyone done this?

You can replace the mopar box with an HEI module- there's descriptions on the web and probably here too. You should be able to do the opposite but it seems kind of counter productive other than for the looks.

You mention the HEI coil. Do you mean can a HEI coil be used with the Chr ECU?
Answer is no.

I agree I'd go with an HEI module "rather than." I tried this in the mid / late 70s and of course had no help, no documentation, and no internet. I MAY have had rotor phasing problems, although I'm sure I tried it both ways. Finally gave up, it would not run correctly. This was an early breakerless Corvette tach drive distributor. I believe someone on here ended up with it.

It had been shortened by a "hack" machinist to fit into a bushing made from an old Mopar aluminum dist. body and to fit a SB Mopar.

Sounds like you may have had the p/up wires reversed. I have used Mopar elect dists to trigger 4 pin HEI modules a few times, never had a problem.

So. my other "Mopar" besides the Charger and the Demon is a 71 Jeepster Commando. I recently swapped to an HEI on the Dauntless V6 ( yes, the odd-fire) and I'm a little let down. As it already has a 69 unsilenced air cleaner and a Coronet Day/Night mirror - can I fire plugs with the HEI wired into the Mopar box? Anyone done this?
I may have misunderstood. Do you have a complete HEI system? That is HEI dist and HEI module. Then if you do, don't screw with a Mopar box

Screenshot_20210725-074319_Gallery.jpg

Mopar HEI conversion with a high output E-coil.

Whoops. Poor wording on my part. I meant, can the pickup coil of a different distributor be used to trigger a Mopar ECU?

Whoops. Poor wording on my part. I meant, can the pickup coil of a different distributor be used to trigger a Mopar ECU?
Ask yourself "why?" Most older Mopar boxes are headed for "starting to deteriorate" or worse, and many/ most modern replacement boxes are China junk.

Screenshot_20200909-064438_Chrome.jpg

This setup works nice and simple, works with your original mopar distributor. Run with the high voltage E-Coil powered by full 12 volts and no ballast resistor.

1995 F-150 application E-Coils work great with simple 2 spade + and - electrical hookups.

Screenshot_20220921-144551_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220921-144330_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220921-144117_Gallery.jpg

☆☆☆☆☆

Last edited:
The reason for my question - I've had two HEI modules "act up" - warm misfire after a heat soak. One was a factory Delco of unknown age, the 2nd was a Standard MP that said "Made in USA". Distributor gets hot as it's right in front in the Dauntless V6. I'm thinking a Mopar ECU in a cooler spot might be more durable.

You can put an HEI module right where the Mopar one is. In fact a few guys have gutted a Mopar box and mounted an HEI 4 pin inside the box. If that is what you are doing don't screw around trying to use both. Pick one or the other. The diagram George Jets posted was created by a member here from my henscratching. "It works"

A good quality HEI module is likely a lot more tolerant of heat than a Mopar one is. That's because they were mounted IN the distributor on a HOT engine!!

Post #10.
The cct diagram might confuse some because it shows a canister coil [ yellow ]. If the Mopar factory coil is used, the 0.5 ohm bal res should be retained. Most canister coils also require a bal res, & the BR should be retained with the HEI module or the Chr ECU.

View attachment 1715988804
This setup works nice and simple, works with your original mopar distributor. Run with the high voltage E-Coil powered by full 12 volts and no ballast resistor.

1995 F-150 application E-Coils work great with simple 2 spade + and - electrical hookups.

View attachment 1715988811

View attachment 1715988810

View attachment 1715988809

☆☆☆☆☆
For this setup to work, both the IGN1 and IGN2 wires from the ignition switch would have to be connected to the red wire, correct? Voltage to coil and module during start and run.

-
Back