Can Anybody Identify This Distributor?..

-

cosgig

MoBro Inc.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Howdy all, cosgig here! I'm trying to identify this distributor that came on a running small block motor I bought! There are no markings anywhere on the unit except for a date stamp of Dec. 2012! I tried to take the steel cover off that covers the brain, but it wouldn't just lift off and I didn't want to pry at it just yet! It was running in the circuit with a Blaster 2 coil, the 2 wires running from the distributor to the coil, and 2 jumper wires spliced into the ballast harness, one from the coil to the harness, and one from the other side of the ballast to the main underhood harness!!

Sooo, here's a couple pics of the distributor, and a pic of it actually hooked up and running! Any help would be much appreciated, I would like to use this in my Cuda if I can, but want to be able to service it if needed!! Thanks for any and all replies!! Geof

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Yup. Sold under several chineseoated names. They seem to have a fair reputation for the price. Many guys call them "HEI" but they are not. HEI is GM. These use a similar module, but different, that seems to be from an Auzzy Holden? I think?

Same one I picked up off Ebay from skipwhite....aka whitesperformance1.
Mine is on the 360 in the Demon. Has worked quite well so far through the break-in and first few hours of runtime. No ballast required.
100_6221.JPG
100_6212.JPG

Well, here we go!! Thanks folks, that puts me in the right direction!! Glad it's free because of the cheaper lineage, but heck, I'll use it and see what happens!! Thanks again all, as usual you've come through in colors!!!

I have one of these from Skip White that I'm about ready to hook up....
I have a couple questions

Do I need to run a ballast resistor with it?
Do I still run the Mopar ECU box?
Any wiring set up or tips?

Jeff

I have one of these from Skip White that I'm about ready to hook up....
I have a couple questions

Do I need to run a ballast resistor with it?
Do I still run the Mopar ECU box?
Any wiring set up or tips?

Jeff

Well Jeff, you can look at the hookup pic I included in the OP, it is hooked through the ballast resistor, although it is a 4 pin resistor, not sure if that makes a difference!! Del would surely know!!

Well, I haven't seen any replacement parts offered in any of these links! Anybody running one had any luck finding replacement parts like the cap and rotor?? Is there a cross reference to another brand if not??

No ballast, no ignition box. They are a ONE WIRE distributor, similar to the GM HEI. Google is your friend. Skip White Performance ain't a secret company.

cosgig, have you been using this distributor for a while ? is it working ok ?

My mopar distributor vacuum advance, wobbles a bit and pulls the pickup module closer to the reluctor tab , so setting the .008 gap is difficult, as it will hit once vacuum is applied.

I have one that I was thinking of converting it to run with my fuel injection system and wondered if the pickup coil would work ok, to fire my MSD 6AL.
remove the hei module and just use the pickup.

Ken

cosgig, have you been using this distributor for a while ? is it working ok ?

My mopar distributor vacuum advance, wobbles a bit and pulls the pickup module closer to the reluctor tab , so setting the .008 gap is difficult, as it will hit once vacuum is applied.

I have one that I was thinking of converting it to run with my fuel injection system and wondered if the pickup coil would work ok, to fire my MSD 6AL.
remove the hei module and just use the pickup.

Ken

Hey Ken, this distributor was on a running parts car when I bought it! I can't speak to its durability or anything else! I think it is actually brand new, as the guy I got the car from also put a brand new gas tank and sending unit in, but the car was so bad underneath that it never even saw the road!

I tested one, not bad for $45. I measured 20 degrees each at crank advance for vac, and mechanical. It would be better to have less on vac, but no adjustment.

I do not think you can pull the pickup, and put in your distributor. The reluctor and pickup are vastly different in design and mounting. The reluctor and pickup have 8 teeth each, that align for trigger like in GM HEI distributor.

Thanks, I had thought I would try using this distributor, and just remove the hei module and use the 8 tooth reluctor to fire my MSD 6AL box. Using this advance setup, I think will be more consistent that my wobbly plate. Worth an attempt I think. Have to order a female cap and I should be good for a test.

Parts arrived and I swapped it in.. using the pickup only to drive the MSD 6AL . Fired it up at lunch today and it appears to work fine. Will go for a test drive after work tonight. I bought an extra cap so I can cut a hole and check rotor phasing on it as well. If the rotor is not phased well, I think I will be out of luck using it long term, as I don't think there will be anyway to adjust rotor position.

Those are made by Ningbao of China and sold by many. The BB version costs slightly more ($70). No model for the slant. I think the rotor phasing is built-in. The Mopar pickup is finicky, requiring careful gap adjustment and slop in the screw holes allows rotor phase mis-match. Same deal with the Crane Cams XR700 optical pickup I used for years. I even drilled a hole in a spare cap to verify rotor phasing w/ a timing light (per their manual). Don't know about Pertronix' Ignitor pickup. Note the Ningbao has multiple fingers all around. I think that is to average-out any rotor wobble, which can be a problem with the Mopar single pickup. I think the 85-95 GM distributor pickup is similar, though a smooth round part where you can't see the pickup fingers.

I did check the rotor phasing on Wednesday and it is good. (Hole in cap/timing light method) The relationship of the rotor compared to the distributor gear slot was not the same as the mopar performance distributor. All I had to do was move my Spark plug wires over 1 terminal .
Motor seems to pull stronger as the revs approach and go beyond 4000 rpm. I was getting some breakup at higher RPM with the MP Distributor.

Cooler weather setting in, but I hope to do a few more test runs with it this weekend. It's vacuum advance mechanism is solid as compared to the wobbly plate mopar vacuum advance.

Eventually, I will lock it down and test it as the firing source for my Fitech EFI.

-
Back