Can anyone identify this suregrip?

-

Clelan

Inferno Red Duster
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I found this for sale locally. Advertised as a sure grip for a Dana 60 31 spline. Was going to use it for a late 70s 3/4 ton Dodge Dana 60. Seller says it had 4.10 gears on it so the case should be correct that way.

Any ideas?

Cley
Screenshot_20201026-035313_Facebook.jpg

Are these rebuildable?

Cley
Yes if you can find the correct parts.
That thing sure looks like the Sure Grip that came out of my 8 3/4 rear end.
I was not aware that type of carrier was used in the Dana 60 ?

If it is for a dana 60 just change the side gears to 35 spline or whatever your axle spline count is.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input guys! I think I'm going to buy it. It'll be a cheap lesson if nothing else.

Cley

Yes it is rebuildable. Measure the diameter of the ring gear. Should be 9 3/4”. If it is for a Dana 60.

Yes if you can find the correct parts.
That thing sure looks like the Sure Grip that came out of my 8 3/4 rear end.
I was not aware that type of carrier was used in the Dana 60 ?

The 8 3/4 is copied from the original dana 60 power loc.

Good find Cley. Kim

Yeah, for 150 bucks delivered I hope it works out for me! My sons truck has open diffs front and back. This will give him a sure grip in the back. If he wants more than that he can do it himself after I'm done with it.

Cley

So I got this diff delivered 2 days after paying the guy. Came with a ring and pinion and some other stuff. Any idea how I can confirm what I have? Definitely a Powr-Lok from what I found on the internet. Only numbers on it are 22934X and 12 11 64a. I have yet to find anything on the WWW.

Cley

Attachments

• 5315-3.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 271
Definitely a power lock.
If that is it in the picture that you posted.

If it will not fit into your axle housing it is most likely because it is for a Dana 70. To make it for a Dana 60 you cut the sides off where the bearings go on so that it fits into your Dana 60 housing. Not a biggie.

These carriers came with about 10 different spline counts for the side gears. So if you want you can put some 35s in there.

Mopar car dana 60s came with either 23 spline or 35 spline axles, and the side gears in the sure grip have to match. Going into a truck with who-knows-what axles, pull an axle from the truck to count the splines. You may, or may not, have to change the side gears.

I see I can get the stuff like side gears and a re build kit from Dr Diff for pretty reasonable price. I just wish I could confirm it's a D-60 carrier. I'm pretty sure the 22934x is the carrier part number but I can't find a way to confirm that. I guess I'll contact Dr Diff on Monday. Cass seems great to deal with. I bought stuff from him in the past.

Cley

Measure the ring gear diameter. 9 3/4 is a Dana 60. Pretty simple.

According to Cass at Dr Diff I have a 3 series powerlock that will work with 3.23 to 4.30 gears! That's perfect! I have 4.10s in the truck.

Cley

-
Back