can anyone (Navy guys) identify this?

-

afbill

FABO World Ambassador
Reaction score
These are all over Rota Naval Air Station. They are used as bollards and decorations now, but they appear to be old devices used for naval purposes. Blockades? target practice? No one I talk to here seems to know. I showed my father-in-law, who's retired Navy, pics of these a few years ago and he didn't know either.

View attachment IMG_0351.jpg

View attachment IMG_0352.jpg

Well as you may know people were a lot bigger in those days toys had to be bigger as well. That was just a simple jack.

I wonder if there is a spot on the top point to attach something. They could have been used as a mooring/s for ships, buoys, mines etc.

break waters
winter_port_500.jpg

Back in the 1960s I was on an amphibious WW 2 ship (see below) and I was told that these things (or something similar) were used by the Nazis to prevent an amphibious ship from retracting from the beach. They were placed about 25 feet apart and if a ship ran up over one or more of them at high tide (they could not be seen then) they would prevent the ship from retracting from the beach because they would dig into the sand.

Benji

Attachments

• Tally-Ho.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 309
I believe these to be post ww11. The beach obstacles used by the Germans on the beaches were made of steel called "Czech hedgehog". similar to these in shape but different for sure. Normally they were also mined.

Here is an interesting photo showing a better perspective of the size. But I still don't know what they are.

Attachments

• 3462843914.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 232
WOW, thanks for all the responses and the old pics!! I'll be sure to pass on to all these Navy pukes that a zoomie knows more about their history than they do....lol. Thanks again.

Still sitting here in Rota waiting for the storms on the east coast to pass.

Well as you may know people were a lot bigger in those days toys had to be bigger as well. That was just a simple jack.

I thought the same thing....other than a big jack, what the hell could it be?

Here is an interesting photo showing a better perspective of the size. But I still don't know what they are.

that's a very interesting picture. The ones here are about half that size. Obviously, whatever they are, came in different sizes. The breakwater pics do tell a tale though.

-
Back