Can anyone tell me what this is?

-

survivordemon

Reaction score
I have seen this on a few 71 A-bodies, what is it? The speedometer cable goes to it. Thanks

IMG_2634.JPG

What is it's purpose and why don't I see many of them? Everyone that looks at my car asks what it is? Thanks

I have one on my 72 Dart Custom. I also would like to know what it is called and its purpose.
Can I remove it or just leave it there?

That thing turned on a light somewhere on the inst' panel at a certain speed. Economy/fuel mileage related, 60 mph, if my memory serves. A standard 63 inch long speedometer cable will delete it.

So if I change my transmission I can keep it?
If you wish. A plastic gear in the trans alters the speedometer cable speed. That plastic gear selected per rear gear ratio, and tire diameter. This centrifugal switch will still spin the same and speedometer will read the same.

Gm offered an adjustable speed alert that would buzz when you exceeded your preset speed.
In the late 70s I worked at a Holiday gas station in Minneapolis and we were the last stations to carry high octane premium gas.... so we saw a lot of muscle cars.. one was a 68 Camaro RS/SS 396 with 8k miles on it and it had the speed alert option. Along with just about every other option !

My 75 318 Swinger had one of those........ I don't remember what they used it for, but it had something to do with emissions..... I probably still have it, along with all the other emissions parts I removed!!!!!

In 74 or 75 they came out with a "Fuel Pacer System". It is vacuum operated though I believe!

This was strictly NOX and likely just a Cal car or maybe NY as well.

Mine has an electrical connector on it...... I want to say they used it for the EGR, but I'm not sure......

Mine has an electrical connector on it...... I want to say they used it for the EGR, but I'm not sure......

Basically yes. EGR was developed to control NOX but was not introduced in 71. Later years combined all this "EGR" included and more to rob us from power and save the Earth. Today they have refined it to the point we have the SRT Demon with more power than we ever dreamed of in the 70's!

-
Back