Can Chrysler still compete ?

-
Same question to you, nothingbutdarts...

You think Fiat is going to keep Ram and Jeep, and sell off the rest?

Same question to you, nothingbutdarts...

You think Fiat is going to keep Ram and Jeep, and sell off the rest?

Well, not sure here but, they set their self you so that they could easily enough do that if they wanted to do it! I would guess somewhere down the road that they will.

I'm not sure, either. I wouldn't be surprised to see then separate the fwd's from the Rwd's, too.

Here in the states, Ford, GM, Toyota, Hyundai, Nissan, and Honda outsell both the Chryslers and the Dodges FWD'ers.

The Minivans are still strong sellers, though.

The competition for RWD isn't as stiff. Mustang, Camaro, some Caddies and Lincolns, and the Challenger, Charger, and 300 seem to do a good job of holding their own.

There has been talk on the SEMA mailings that chrysler seperated all the product lines so that they can sell them off seperately if need be

IMO they missed a huge opportunity by not making the new Dart a direct competitor to Mustang/Camaro by making it a smaller/lighter RWD V8 musclecar like the original.

Chrysler could have catapulted themselves to the top of the heap with a 6.1 Hemi drivetrain in a 2800# RWD Dart, and then stayed there by providing the same level of factory support to the performance aftermarket as Ford and Chevy.

I went to try the new Dart before I bought my 2013 Kia Forte it rides and handles good but as stated, the salesman would not deal and these cars are very expensive compared to other stuff on the market which are built better and offer better options.

No, Chrysler is done, as far as the old timers know it, was done along time ago. Fiat on the other hand. YEAH-YUH! 451Cuda speaks the truth.

I'm not sure, either. I wouldn't be surprised to see then separate the fwd's from the Rwd's, too.

Here in the states, Ford, GM, Toyota, Hyundai, Nissan, and Honda outsell both the Chryslers and the Dodges FWD'ers.

The Minivans are still strong sellers, though.

The competition for RWD isn't as stiff. Mustang, Camaro, some Caddies and Lincolns, and the Challenger, Charger, and 300 seem to do a good job of holding their own.

You have to take into consideration on the FWD that none of the foreign makers bother with RWD. They concentrate on their FWD so they might do better in the market share.

The Dart most likely has no profit in it for dealers or should I say sales departments. Might only have 900-1100 margin..I cant say for sure since I dont compete against them.

The 300 is a really nice car ! Even we will admit that .
Challenger is a great car. Feels like a 70 Challenger from behind the wheel except tighter , quiter and handles/stops better.
Ram Trucks selling well. Nice fit and finish inside.
New grand Cherokee is a lot of bang for the buck and REALLY nice inside !
Wrangler..... Well its a Wrangler... Nobody else makes anything similar !

Yes , most dealers are DICKS ! Even I think that ! But as long as the public wants to reward DICKS because of low pricing instead of buying from good dealers at a reasonable price it will just continue to get worse ! Most of the honest helpfull local small dealers were run out of business because the local people traveled to the big city to buy for 100.00 less.

It is ashame... Our best local Dodge dealer ( Curt & Hal ) had been around since the 50,s but finally sold out to DICKS because they couldnt compete (or just got tired of it)with the Megadealers that sold for 100 over invoice and then told the customers if they have a problem take it to the local dlr ..

You have to take into consideration on the FWD that none of the foreign makers bother with RWD. They concentrate on their FWD so they might do better in the market share.

Not true. Toyota/Subaru have a rwd model out and Nissan isn't too far behind them. Apparently, the Toyota is doing well...

That's precisely what I was saying.

To get a RWD Import, you have to step up to MD, BMW, or to Nissan and Toyota's high end cars. A different price range.

Chrysler's problem right now is pretty obvious, The Dart is nothing special, and it's too costly when compared to the competition, and it's no better than anything else in it's segment.

The same goes for Chrysler's intermediates, like the 200. It's a fairly mundane car, that is at the bottom of it's segment in sales, and has mediocre performance, reliability, and customer satisfaction histories.
It's not a bad vehicle, it's just isn't anything special in the segment.
Except for Chrysler Loyalists, there's nothing unique in a V6 FWD midsize vehicle sedan. It's a rental barge, just like the GM and Fords in the segment, and it has very stiff and very successful competition from the imports, who own that segment. Chrysler brought nothing to the table that was different, and, in fact, left a few things off that the imports included.

The convertible is slightly better, though.

To anyone who has a Chrysler 200, I mean no disrespect, I'm dealing strictly in facts here, no emotion or personal pride. Chrysler produced a car that was not supposed to lead the segment. It's merely a participant. There's nothing wrong in doing so, as long as you don't hype your entry as best in class, while you continue to hover around 20th spot, in an already over crowded segment.

For me, personally, save the Challenger, the Charger, and the Ram trucks, nothing that Chrysler is producing right now interests me. That said, when ever anyone I know (family or friends) asks my opinion on new cars, I always ask if they've looked at the Chryslers and Dodges, first. Then I offer my opinion on the others.

the dodge truck as long as they have the cummins and can build competive truck with good ( powerful, good fuel economy, and longevity) I feel will be a player, the company as us "oldtimers" know it, well it went away lon time ago. pitiful.....
yes the mega dealer, the whole set up from sales to price of repairs, yes its criminal as has been for decades.... price shopping??? look what wally world has done to the small store!!?????
and life goes on......

Seems extinction is inevitable sooner or later in the name of progress. DeSoto, Plymouth,what's next, it likely won't have no effect on me or my vehicles.
I am of the loyal Mopar only sort when it comes to what I will buy, but have had no use for anything Chrysler or anything anyone else(Mercedes, Fiat, Whoever) has offered in decades.
I am very happy with my older mopars and it works best for me that I am in control of all that is required to have and use a vehicle without the dealerships help.
If they were ever to build a product that more fit my needs it would probably be different.
Something simple and in a base model price range would turn me into a new car buyer.

Base model priced V8, manual transmission, rear wheel drive, 2 door would be my requirements.

Gm and ford have done well making this available with the mustang and camero.
Chrysler has really dropped the ball on this in my opinion.
I don't need or would ever pay for a viper. Limited market car is useless to me.
I had great expectations for the challenger when they first started talking about it. Finally I thought. What do they do they put hemis in them for a v8 and load them down with exspensive crap to take them out of a base car price range that anyone could own. Dealers had them sold for more than sticker before they even arrived on the lots around here. Charger became a 4 door, what were they thinking.
In 69 they did it right with the 383 road runner. They sold really well that year for Chrysler.. base v8 engine & Body. 4-speed standard equipt. It was a great car value for the buyer. They weren't fancy but that's what made them affordable.
I want modern version of this type of car and I doubt they will ever get it right ever again.
I would be happy with the modern equivalent of a 318 three speed overdrive volare.
I have no use for the fwd or premium price range cars and seems that is all they care to offer up. It is sad but I have been dissapointed with Chrysler corp. since the 80s.

Chrysler bit the big one when they teamed up with misterbitchy and made car and vans with garbage engines and rot ready bodies if they had stuck with what they did best ie making cheap afordable cars rwd they would still be going strong

-
Back