Can I run a 14x8 with 3.5 backspacing on the front of a 71 duster?

-

diymirage

HP@idle > hondaHP@redline
Reaction score
A fellow member is selling a set of small bolt slots which I think would look great on Ginger
(Ginger is a 71 duster)

The wheels aRe 14x8 with 3.5 inches of backspacing
Will these fit on my Ginger?

And what tire size would be recomended?

Only if your front ride height is sky hi, or you run a very short tire.
The problem on our A's is fender to tire clearance, and turning, at anything near standard ride height.
Eight's require to be moved inboard as far as is possible, but then your14's and 15's run into clearance issues with the upper BJ, and a taller tire can rub on the frame,at full lock.
IIRC, a 4 or 4.25 is the max bs on the front of the 67 to 72 cars; and about 7.5 is the maximum width,before issues start on the outboard side, at that 4 to 4.25 bs.Most period wheels I have seen run the centers from 1 inch offset to the inside, to on-center. Yours for example are (8" plus 1"beads)/2 = 4.5 bs to put the spider on center. At 3.5 they are 1 inch offset to the inside; which is the wrong way for a front wheel.:(

Now, on the off chance that you have measured wrong, I should mention that an 8 inch wheel will measure near 9 inches from the outer faces of the wheel. This is because wheels are measured between the bead seats, and not face-to-face. So if you have measured the wheels from face-to-face, and seen from 7.75 to 8.0 on the tape, then these are actually 7's. And 7's with a 3.5bs are no problem, to fit on your Ginger.
I run 14 x 7's with a 3.375(IIRC)bs,and 235/60s no problem; even lowered some 1.5 to 2 inches.I did have to trim the openings tho.

Thanks for the detailed reply
(I read it three times and I still don't like it)

I am going on numbers provided by the seller, so I can only imagine they are correct

I might just get the and bolt them up to check for interference
The price is right, and if it doesn't fit I won't breally the bank

If the wheels fit without the tires (concerning the balljoints) i will start looking into tires

Ginger is at the stock ride hight in the front, slight rake in the rear

-
Back