Can it be fixed? 66 Barracuda Rear quarter window

-

cudajames

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I need help, my rear passenger side quarter window on my 66 Barracuda does not roll up or down. . . after I attempted to fix it

Before it was very rough getting it to roll down. I had to move it with my hands to get it started and then it would roll down and most of the way back up. That trick stopped working and I was not able to get it to roll back up

So, I attempted to fix it. I was able to coax it to roll up most of the way. But now it is just stuck, will not roll either way. The maintenance manual is not very helpful for this work

The first 4 pictures show how the window sits now
In picture 5, I believe that bolt is used to adjust the front part of the window side to side.
Picture 6, I believe offers further adjust but I am not sure what is does.

Can anybody offer any help or other instruction on how to fix the window. How would I know if something is broken? This is my first time ever attempting to adjust a window. And I am failing

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 227
  • 2.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 254
  • 3.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 243
  • 4.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 235
  • 5.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 229
  • 6.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 262
sorry i am not a body guy... someone will help... i hate window issues period.... gotta have small hands and know the innerworkings....

yes sometime looking at it a few times walking away thinking and trying again helps,,, i had a radiatior issue that took 3 weeks of fitting, looking walking away and it eventually came to me.

Before it was very rough getting it to roll down. I had to move it with my hands to get it started and then it would roll down and most of the way back up. That trick stopped working and I was not able to get it to roll back up

So, I attempted to fix it. I was able to coax it to roll up most of the way. But now it is just stuck, will not roll either way. The maintenance manual is not very helpful for this work

What did you do in your attempt to fix?

This sounds like a worn regulator, the glass not seated in the track, or a combination of both.

If you've been pulling on the window glass while cranking to get the window to roll up, you might have yanked the glass out of the track or otherwise caused a jam. The first thing I would suggest is to try to get a look at the glass and track to see if everything is in place.

I've got the same thing - since I'm not doing the work myself, I found a replacement regulator and I'm having it installed by a mech who specializes in restorations

What a PITA

I've made a little progress, the window can move a little.

I avoided working on it for a couple days.

Still looking for advice, especially related to the adjustment bolts in picture #6

Here is an image from the FSM for 65 cars, not sure if it will help.

Attachments

• qurter glass adjusting points.JPG
    23.3 KB · Views: 165
take it to a body shop they do this suff everyday... worth the money to save the high blood pressure...

If it's any consolation, my 66 Barracuda had the same issue. Long ago, I bought complete rear window regulators from a junkyard. I removed them from the car myself with the help of a friend. I never put them in though. Yours may just need to be cleaned & relubed.

Well, I did make some progress. The adjustment bolts in picture #6 really only offer minor movement.
I removed the for/apt adjustment lubed the reinstalled

I also lubed the rear in/out

The window is able to roll all the way down. Which is good for now

Learned a ton and will work on it again when I have some more time.

And not like it will rain in california

ok, i bought some replacement parts (regulator included) and finally got the courage to work on it again

Taking it apart wasn't to bad. As you can see I bent the hell out of the regulator

Made a couple mistakes putting it back together. And the manual wasn't much help

But, it is almost done. Some minor adjustment and I have a working window again

Attachments

• IMG_6749.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_6750.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_6751.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_6752.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_6753.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 121