Can someone identify this for me?

-

SkyBlueScampy

Reaction score
On my 72 Scamp, under the dash, affixed to the driver side kick panel, above the horn relay/key-in buzzer there is a 2 prong electrical connector that I found disconnected. There are 3 dark blue wires coming out of the plug. I reconnected it and can find nothing different happening in the car. Everything has always seemed to work in the car.
I looked at the wiring diagrams and the closest thing to it I could find is the “headlamp relay buzzer connector”, but the manual says the wires are black(2) and yellow(1) while they are all dark blue on my car (a Canadian model). Anyone know what this is and does?

Did 1972 Scamps even have “headlight on” buzzers?

Thanks a bunch.

IMG_7346.jpeg

IMG_7347.jpeg

Go to Hamtramck-Historical Library and see if any of the dealer liturature shows that option.

Canadian models were sometimes different, especially in the 60s. '72 I don't know.
We have discussed the diagrams and the options for '60s through '71, if not '72.

See if any apply

I don't know about a "Headlights On" buzzer, but I had a 70 Fury with a factory "Headlight delay" option. If you turn the headlights off after you shut the car off, they would stay on for 30 seconds or so then go out. I found this out by accident & didn't know it was even available in 1970. So maybe that's what that thing is? Your car could have that option, check that out.

What is the month and year the car was built?
Can be found on decal left door.

Thank you all. Yes, pretty sure it is the seat belt buzzer. Will test it tonight. The buzzer does not appear in the Valiant electrical wiring diagrams of my factory shop manual. Found it in the Barracuda diagrams. Go figure!

Can explain why it's not in the 72 wiring diagram.
Many people don't understand the importance of knowing the build date of their car. Chrysler quite often made changes during the model year of the vehicle.
The factory service manual is printed and distributed to the dealers before the model year begins, so any design changes after that will not be in the service manual.
This is an example of that situation.

In regard to the seat belt system, Chrysler made a mid- year change.
Up to Jan. 1972 the seat belt buzzer was not installed.
After Jan. 1972 the seat belt warning system was used on the abodies. These dates are approximations but they should be pretty close.

The change can be seen in the 1973 wiring diagram with the 3 dark blue wires coming out of the plug.
Now the parts catalog is updated 2 or 3 times during the model year, so the final revision was made in November 1972. In this final edition you will see the seat belt buzzer, Chrysler part #3620874, which was not in the first edition.
Of course all this depends on whether or not the previous owners made any changes to the car.

Last edited:
-
Back