Can the transmission lock cable leak internally on 63 Dart's 904 tranny?

-

Hideogumperjr

Reaction score
Hi Guys, hope everyone is doing well this new year.

My 63 dart convertible is running pretty well but I am still having issues with the 904 leaking tranny fluid and it is making me crazy.

So far I have found a cross-threaded front coolant line fitting and replaced that. I found a crimped O-ring on the filler tube and replaced it. I replaced the gasket on the parking brake housing and the O-ring. I replaced the oil pan and gasket with the new deeper pan and re-usable gasket. I found a loose bore plug in the tranny and tightened it up.

I did find that there were 3 pan bolts that are stripped when I torqued them to 150 in/lbs so Ill figure that out but if anyone has suggestions I would appreciate it.

When I ran it in the garage there were no leaks so I took it on the road and drove around 10 miles or so and let it sit in the driveway while I checked the fluid and the fluid was fine but I found two spots where it leaked while it was sitting, so back into the garage and jacked it up and put in on my ramps and jack stands. I cant find anything obvious but saw that there was a few drips on the bottom of the pan, Upon further digging around I found that the driver side torsion bar was wet and had some dripping tranny fluid. I found the parking lock cable was touching the torsion bar and it was wet there down.

My question is: Is there any possibility the parking lock cable could be leaking internally? I recently replaced the O-ring into the housing.

Also is there anyone in the North Seattle area that might be able to put some eyes on this and help me figure out where the leak is coming from?

Cheers yall,
John in Bothell WA

Followup from SlantSixDan on www.slantsix.org:

Quote:
If the trans shift or park cable contacts the exhaust pipe, a hole can be burned in the cable's outer sheath, then you get a fluid leak. The closer to the transmission, the bigger the leak. Same (but slower) if the cable rubs on something long enough. If you find such a hole, proceed as here (see below.)

Another common leak point: the kickdown shaft seal.

(And yes, you're going to need to do something about those stripped pan bolts...sounds like time for a trio of Heli-Coils or similar.)

The link he recommends is:
Quote:
The O-ring suggestion is definitely the first place to check. Also, see that you and your mechanic are clear with one another as to whether it's the shift cable or the park cable that's leaking; there is an O-ring on each, and the park cable housing also has a gasket.

If the cable jacket itself is damaged (as for instance if it fell down out of its floor pan clip and rested on the hot exhaust pipe, burning a hole in the nylon cover, or if it cracked) then a repair is possible: You clean down the cable thoroughly with brake cleaner, cut a piece of fuel injection hose (marked SAE J30R9) 3 inches longer than the damaged portion of the jacket, slit the hose lengthwise (some "spiral" to the slit helps), coat the damaged area of the cable with Mopar RTV (don't substitute another brand), place the slit hose over the area and twist/shift it a little to spread the RTV, then apply hose clamps at 1½" intervals, just enough to hold the hose firmly, but not so tightly as to squeeze the cable, which would cause it to bind.

If in the end this doesn't work, replacement cables are available.

Hope this helps someone else!
Cheers

-
Back