can u order fender tags?

-

wnarunm

Reaction score
trying to see if there is anyplace that remanufactures fender tags? my 69 dart did not have one on it when i got car,would like to see if anyplace i can send vin# too can make one?
thanks

Suppose you don't have one, is there a place that still makes them. I was thinking the same thing as my 72 dart was just a basket case, missing the fender tag and build sheet, when I got it.

Not that I know of. No-one should make them without supporting documents. If not against the law it should be and the reason why is that anyone could take any car and turn it into something it really isn't. That's fraud.

How is it fraud if your not changing the VIN? If you put it that way, it would be fraud to add anything to a car that is not an original part.

Nope your basicly Screwed.

Cause you could add a 340/4spd, sport hood, power brakes, power steering. You can make any 72 Dart you'd like with an options book Thats why you have to have a Buildsheet/broadcast sheet.

There is a guy in Grande Junction, Colorado that will make fender tags and vin tags. But the guys are correct, you need supporting documentation. If you need a vin tag you need a rubbing of the fender tag, a clear core support photo, and a photo copy of your title and you have to live in a state where it is legal. For a fender tag Steve is correct, you need the build sheet. Let me know if you need me to look up his contact info. This guy will not do anything that will cost him his business so don't even ask.

you could try AG Backeast but without any documentation of what the car really is save a VIN number most likely will not touch.

MMD, there were a few folks 'making' fender tags and selling rose-head rivets (for VIN plates) up until a few years ago. Problem was, they weren't basing it off a build sheet and supporting documentation. So cars were being made into much more 'desirable' rigs and people were buying them at elevated prices. Lawsuits and criminal trials began...and folks went to prison. It is no joke to try and 'make' a car. Your title should have a VIN, you may be able to track it through Chrysler Historical or some such, but really, if you are making your car into what you want (not a resto), cool, fender tag no big deal.

Hey Jim(colomopar) How are you?? Making progress with the project?? Good to hear buddy wont make tags/vins without supporting documentation too!

Mild Mannered Dart...why do you want a fendertag?? Basically a fendertag is an orig representation of what the vehicle had for options etc originally....when you purchased your car it didnt have a fendertag, so how do you know what an accurate/original representation of your car would be??

It is not fraud to create a fender tag, but to create a tag and sell a car based off that information is. This may not be your intention but I assure with the value of some of these vehicles it would be others intentions to do just that and devalue the hobby as a whole.

Why would MMD want a fendertag for a car that has absolutely no documentation of what the car originally had?? I dunno, just thinking "out loud".....

Why would you bother?

i just wanted to know if there was a way to make the tag from having the vin# on car, just was curious to see if it showed the original color combo, i dont have the 340/4spd set up but trying to figure out what color to paint car just thought might been cool to paint back original color.

I believe that Chrysler historical can send you the data that would be on the fender tag if you get them the VIN#. I'm not sure just how to do that, and I could be wrong. For your stated purpose there is no ethical or legal issue. Surely you see the potential for fraud if fender tags were just made up as desired, though.

ATB

BC

trying to figure out what color to paint car just thought might been cool to paint back original color.

It should be the color closest to bare metal, as you strip it down to do it right. Look inside the cowl, under the windshield trim, underside of the package tray in the trunk, or look under the car for chipped undercoating all reveals original body color.:blob:

I believe that Chrysler historical can send you the data that would be on the fender tag if you get them the VIN#. I'm not sure just how to do that, and I could be wrong. For your stated purpose there is no ethical or legal issue. Surely you see the potential for fraud if fender tags were just made up as desired, though.

ATB

BC

This is the address I have for the Chrysler Historical Archives. The website is no longer working. With the closing of the Walter P. Chrysler Muesum the Chrysler Historical Archives may be gone too but lets hope not.

Chrysler Historical Archives
12501 Chrysler Freeway
Detroit, MI 48288
CIMS 410-11-21

Danielle Szostak
Email: [email protected]
Fax: (313) 252-2928

This is the address I have for the Chrysler Historical Archives. The website is no longer working. With the closing of the Walter P. Chrysler Muesum the Chrysler Historical Archives may be gone too but lets hope not.

Chrysler Historical Archives
12501 Chrysler Freeway
Detroit, MI 48288
CIMS 410-11-21

Danielle Szostak
Email: [email protected]
Fax: (313) 252-2928

in my case,I`d like to have a feder tag supporting what I`ve done to the car on it,which wasn`t even an option in 68, so there`d be no fraud possible--------bob

There was a fire at the Chrysler archive. As I understand the fire did not do that much damage, but the water used to extinguish it destroyed the (IBM) build cards from 68 on up. The build cards are what is used to create the broadcast sheets and fender tags as well as all other factory options were on said car.
This is why the documentation for these vehicles is so important as they can not be obtained and cars without it bring a lower value as rarity of actual options can not be verified, it is what it is as they say. The VIN will give you engine size, but outside of that not a lot of information.

If you have a 67 or earlier you can get all the supporting documentation for your car for about $50 and 4 weeks time from Chrysler historical.

I believe that Chrysler historical can send you the data that would be on the fender tag

The vin won't tell ya crap except for the basics. Will not tell you options. Without the window sticker, build sheet, or fender tag your never gonna know for sure what was in that car originally. At this point the only reason to get a tag made is to fool people into believing those options actually came in the car. That in my opinion will lead to fraud sooner or later.

That too could be open to speculation Bob especially to an unknowing person in the market looking to make a purchase. Not saying that is your intention. Honestly these are visual changes to the car so why the need to add a code that few could read on the fly anyway? Create a portfolio both photo and written of the work you have done to the car. it will bring more attention to your details of the car than an E55 etc code.

in my case,I`d like to have a feder tag supporting what I`ve done to the car on it,which wasn`t even an option in 68, so there`d be no fraud possible--------bob

AG Backeast is who I was refering to in Grande Junction. I understand wanting a fender tag, it just feels incomplete if it's missing. I am in the process of purchasing a car that doesn't have one and I don't think there is a build sheet either. It would be nice to screw something in its place. I had thought of making a new fender tag that somehow discribes the current build. I may just spell out the cars current options without even trying to use codes so as not to deceive and would make the word CLONE prominant. I would not feel right if I didn't make it obvious that it IS NOT the original way the car was built.

Hey Steve, I'll pm you

-
Back