Can you look at my rear?

-

symonjester

Reaction score
My 1968 Barracuda seems to have me rather baffled. From everything I can tell the trunk/deck lid is supposed to have an upper and lower trim piece (thin silver/pot metal) and an emblem and fishy on the passenger side.

Mine, however, comes with 8 factory holes in the center too - apparently to mount something. Anyone know what the *** of a 68 Cuda is supposed to have on it?

Attachments

• cuda rear.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 338
That's what I thought - only the upper and lower trim from the 68 fit. Not sure they are universal. I know the trunk was not original (bit of a Frank-n-Cuda)

No might about it it is a 67 lid.... no biggy fill in the holes and re-shoot the center piece, blend under the moldings....no one will ever know prolly take about a day at a good body shop, cost around $300 + -

I am completely surprised NO one has done it yet......

I have looked at your rear and I wish I was blind....... LOLOL
what a catch phrase! "Can you look at my REAR"

No might about it it is a 67 lid.... no biggy fill in the holes and re-shoot the center piece, blend under the moldings....no one will ever know prolly take about a day at a good body shop, cost around $300 + -

LOL, shoot. Was hoping you'd say "here is a 3 minute fix"....ah, what's another week after 2 years. Seriously, this is what I imagine having kids in college is like. The only time I get calls from the shop is to ask for more money.

I am completely surprised NO one has done it yet......

I have looked at your rear and I wish I was blind....... LOLOL
what a catch phrase! "Can you look at my REAR"

You cheeky "bum-looker"

Yep, those pants make it look BIG!!! Oops....I thought I was talking to my wife. Sorry!!! Geof

Option #2 - if original is not so important, or your car came with the Spring Special package. Fill the holes and don't repaint it. Put the reflective decal on the decklid.

Option #2 - if original is not so important, or your car came with the Spring Special package. Fill the holes and don't repaint it. Put the reflective decal on the decklid.

I'm so far into this project now I decided to have the shop patch and repaint. After 2 years I figure what's another 2 days.

Crud. No luck gang. The clips from both a 68 and 67 do not line up with the holes. I seriously have NO idea what this trunk is from. All I know is I have a nearly fully restored cuda sitting in the driveway with 12 holes feeding straight into the trunk :(

67 trunk lid. You need an upper piece that looks very much like the lower trim piece.

The 68 trim uses studs. I think you can move the studs around if needed (haven't had mine off in a long time). Or drill new holes for the 68 upper trim.

As for all the holes in the center section between the tail lights……. Those will need to be welded and that section will need to be repainted.

Optionally, you could weld, seal and use the optional reflective tape.

This is what the 68 rear looks like with the red tape. Without the red tape it would be body color.

DSC00043.jpg

67 trunk lid. You need an upper piece that looks very much like the lower trim piece.

The 68 trim uses studs. I think you can move the studs around if needed (haven't had mine off in a long time). Or drill new holes for the 68 upper trim.

As for all the holes in the center section between the tail lights……. Those will need to be welded and that section will need to be repainted.

Optionally, you could weld, seal and use the optional reflective tape.

This is what the 68 rear looks like with the red tape. Without the red tape it would be body color.

DSC00043.jpg

Wow, you've been a great help on two threads for me today. Thanks! I had the center holes plugged and repainted already. Now I'm going to have them simply cut new holes for the clips and trim I have.

Do these projects ever end? Really?

-
Back