Canadian drag racers......

-

lenweiler

Reaction score
may want to respond to your member of parliament, to this letter I recieved from my drag strip. In a nutshell the Can. government wants to ban All leaded gas use. This will effectively force all racing venues to shut down. THIS IS SERIOUS! The letter.......

The End of Canadian Drag Racing?

Racers, it seems the sky is truly falling. The Government of Canada is planning to implement a total and permanent ban on the use of leaded fuels for competition purposes, effective January 1st, 2009.
If this happens, Professional Drag Racing in Canada is over. Immediately, completely and forever. This isn't the same as the challenges we've faced in the past. This time, they're dropping the 'Big One'.
No Pro Mod, No Pro Stock, No Top Fuel or Nitro Funny Car and no American competitors in any of our sportsman classes. Only Alcohol Funny Cars would remain unscathed.
Although many Canadian sportsman competitors run their cars effectively on unleaded racing fuel or methanol, any of our competitors using leaded fuel have two choices. Change or quit.
The legislation arrived in our office last week. We took the time to read the document from start to finish to make sure we weren't overreacting. Then we talked to fuel suppliers, the IHRA and local politicians, including London's Bud Polhill; a long-time drag racing advocate in the Canadian fuel wars.
What makes this bill viciously unfair is, they indicate that there may be increased health risks associated with leaded fuels than previously thought, and are advocating this change without any actual testing or proof. The US, Britain and Australia must not put much faith in this new information as they have no changes planned in their Leaded fuel for competition vehicles policies at volumes 10 to 100 times the annual Cdn. volume. Also the passing of this bill does not eliminate leaded fuel, it only eliminates our portion, which is 1.5% of the leaded fuel consumed in Canada (these are the Govt's own numbers right in the report - see Industry profile) the remaining 98.5% is used as aviation fuel and they have been given a permanent exemption. (which includes private pleasure planes, etc.)
Bottom line, it's as bad as it seems. The Canadian Government are legislating Canada's largest racing facilities out of business. The document can be found on the Government of Canada website, under Canada Gazette Part 1, Dec. 22, 2007. The link to the document is: http://canadagazette.gc.ca/partI/2007/20071222/html/regle1-e.html

If you're passionate about our sport, I can only beg you to call, write and email every politician you can think of, and let them know how you feel about your sport being forced out of existence.YOU NEED TO DO THIS ASAP AS THE COMMENT PERIOD FOR THIS ACTION CLOSES ON FEB 20th , 2008 and it will then be scheduled for a vote. Make sure the companies that tailor their businesses around the performance industry know as well. They've got a big stake in this too.

This is the link that takes you to the current Members of Parliament.
http://webinfo.parl.gc.ca/MembersOfParliament/MainMPsCompleteList.aspx?TimePeriod=Current&Language=E

I agree with Ted, just use unleaded race fuel. I have used it before and saw absolutely no difference in performance.

Chuck

I think my U.S. bretheren are missing the point...If drag strip propriertors have to rely on our minimal gate receipts they probably would have to close down. The pro ranks don't have "unleaded" nitro. If you read "lenweiler's" post he even addresses the unleaded approach.

My question is, does SEMA carry any weight in Canada? Can we do anything here in the states to help out. I'm thinking as individuals if we were to ask your Parliament to do anything it might be construde the wrong way and used as a tool to keep us "south of the border"...

I haven't noticed that nitro has lead, but even if it does, lead like in gasoline is an additive, so don't add it.

Pro Stock doesn't use nitro and Pro Mod is a mix of fuels.

Chuck

I don't understand Ricer's or the younger NOPI generation, but if they are treated badly by our gov't. I'll fight for their rights. (Crushing street cars that are assumed to have been involved is street racing...without due process).

I don't have a "Trailer Queen" but I'd never cut up a true no.'s matching car because I know how special these are to those who are into that sort of thing.

And above all, I know Pro Stock doesn't use nitro...Besides, it's not like the pro teams could add or subtract additives to their fuel.

My point is living in Ca. I have seen what happens when car people stand by and do nothing. We no longer have any true drag strips within 100...with the closing of Palmdale...make that 250+ mile's I could actually even run a bracket car. Can Canadians still drag race on unleaded fuel...perhaps...but when we're all racing hybrid's won't that be exciting.

I have been fighting these government vs performance car/race car wars for 30 years and they will pass laws before you have a chance to do anything. They will not go backwards if the law is already in place. Best thing to do is adapt to the new laws (or at least let them think you are adapting). You can rant and rave all you want to government officials and it just falls on deaf ears. I been down this path in city and county counsel meetings and they still do what they want. These enviromental laws are not just effecting motor vehicles. They are targeting everyone, we just don't see the other things because it is of no interest to us. Horse people are being targeted for the manure waste.

If you feel the need to do something, then do, but it will be a waste of your time and you will just be even more disapointed in the end.

When it comes to the government I try and apply some of the Dalai Lamas quotes, after all he is probably the person that has resisted the government the most. I will list a few of them.

"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly" (my favorite).

"Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it.

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson"

"Remember that silence is sometimes the best answer"

Chuck

Chuck,
I agree with everything you say and love your "quotable quotes". As you point out once it becomes law, it is not going to change...but in this case it appears that this is pending legislation...I know that this is probably a distinction without a difference, but let me live in my "Pauliana" world.

Case-in-point...I have faith in SEMA...Why? It's not that I believe SEMA exists because some of us Don Qiuote (Sp? Man of La Mancha) types are running around trying to keep our automotive interests alive. I appreciate the fact that big business wants to sell us stuff and as a bye-product they will go to court to protect our rights...

The problem with no lead allowed is, that you can't draw the faster,, hi-profile cars, pro stock top sportsman, pro mod, etc, and therefore that cans the Big weekend, which larger strips need to survive. The Mopar weekend is getting bigger every year hear, drawing cars from all over north america, and is a huge boon to the strip. Toronto Inter. and Montreal are the same........ Without those weekends, the strips will likely fold.

Maybe it is time for race sanctioning bodies to outlaw leaded fuel. End of problem.

I read this a week ago and figured it was just someone screwing around. Now that it has shown up in a completely different forum with other information I guess it has my attention. I am truly concerned with this. The Rocky Mountain Nationals here in Edmonton have been getting bigger and bigger over the past 3 years, and this would shut it right down. Almost all the big names come from the States and there is no way they would change their fuel just to come up here.

At the same time, I'm going to guess that every major racing facility in the country isn't going to take this lying down. They will be right in the political crossfire, as they rightfully should. Hopefully the government will realize that they should do some serious research before passing such ridiculous legislation.

Every racer I know is sending a letter to their MP. This is a perfect example why I don't/never vote Tory. They care little for the little guy and have NO foresite.

-
Back