Cant find the master cylinder I want

-

Brooks James

VET, CPT, Huey Medevac Pilot
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Been searching for a mc for my 70 Dart stock kelsey hayes manual discs, aftermarket rear discs. I want to upgrade to a modern aluminum mc designed for 4 wheel discs. I think I am asking too much for one that will work with the original lines. I also thinking I need an adapter.
Recommendations

Take a look at Ehrenburger's Ebay site for brake parts. I've had good luck with his brake parts. Just my 2 cents. Paul.

I'm sorry I don't have a copy of the last MP parts catalog. They had those numbers in there. Maybe somebody else does. You can cross those numbers to something over the shelf at like Autozone if you can find the numbers. It's a shame really. You used to could get all that stuff right from Mopar. If I remember right, I think it was the master cylinder from like an mid to late 80s Chrysler New Yorker or Fifth Avenue that you're looking for.....but I'm not 100% sure without the MP number reference.

Last edited:
1986 dodge D100 manual brake 1 inch bore master. Make or get the adapter and then use a 1970 E-body brake rod or 71-72 B-body rod. Lines fit right on. My car stopped like it had power brakes. If using 4 wheel disc then use a 4 wheel drum brake proportioning valve. I had front disc rear drum and use a brass style 70-72 disc proportioning valve.

DSCN1685.jpg

The only "upgrade" you will get from that swap is a couple of pounds; The hydraulics work the same. Reservoir size means nothing if your system is in good working order, and you maintain it.
Don't forget to pull the residual valve from the small (rear brakes) chamber for 4 wheel discs.

There is a small rubber valve and a spring behind the brass seat on the drum brake side of a master cylinder. You have to pull the brass seat out and remove the spring and valve. Those pieces are not needed in the disc portion. If it is left in, the disc brakes won't release fully. Do a search in brakes.....Lots of info about it from our members.

upload_2021-11-6_22-7-0.jpeg

-
Back