Can't get my body guy to finish

-
unfortunately john what you said right there is why you get what you get

I would agree with you Rick had this not been the agreement before he started working on it. I've done timing belts, brake jobs, tune ups, transmission swaps, head swaps and more for this guy.

Sorry to hear this. I've got one good friend who does body work and is decent but the other body men I've dealt with are the same way. I tried trading one guy all the labor of building and installing a custom built transmission in his truck (40 hours shop labor) for painting a pair of dually fenders and he still expected me to pay for material. I told him that was BS since he was going to have 1/4th the time invested in them that I had in his stuff and walked away.

Sorry to hear this. I've got one good friend who does body work and is decent but the other body men I've dealt with are the same way. I tried trading one guy all the labor of building and installing a custom built transmission in his truck (40 hours shop labor) for painting a pair of dually fenders and he still expected me to pay for material. I told him that was BS since he was going to have 1/4th the time invested in them that I had in his stuff and walked away.

I purchased all of my materials already, and, it's the stuff we use in the shop everyday because that's what he asked me to do. I'm gonna talk to him today and see if there is some other reason he doesn't want to touch it.

If i was to buy another car it would have to have new paint, because body shops here are the same , they will never finish anything .

I started to cramp up after an hour of sanding. I'm in the beginning stages of carpal tunnel and doing the finish work is hell on my wrists. I don't have the "feel" for highs/lows and that is apparent in the stuff I roughed in since I had to do it 4/5 times to get it shaped right.

I can understand the pain, I have carpal tunnel too and fibromyalgia. I lost a lot of my "feel" from the artharitis and fibro...that is why I use guide coat and block everything multiple times. I was just trying to give you another option as to finishing the car yourself.

I can understand the pain, I have carpal tunnel too and fibromyalgia. I lost a lot of my "feel" from the artharitis and fibro...that is why I use guide coat and block everything multiple times. I was just trying to give you another option as to finishing the car yourself.

I gave it a college try don't get me wrong. I did most of the work on the rear of the car "done" but then he walked over felt it and said nope needs more still got some highs and lows.

I gave it a college try don't get me wrong. I did most of the work on the rear of the car "done" but then he walked over felt it and said nope needs more still got some highs and lows.

not much you can do when a man decides to give up. when he wants to quit he just quits...... until there's something he really wants

Just bring it to my shop. Thats all we do is work on pre72 cars/ trucks we do everything in house. check out my shop on our Facebook page it's in my signature. If your interested in talking just give me a shout.
Tim

I see some beautiful work coming out of your shop on Facebook. I even asked for a job :D No answer though LOL :eye:

Hey Adam that was you? LOL sorrydidn't realize who you were until now. Imight take you up on that offer. We are so busy and I have a list of customers waiting that grows longer every day.
I see some beautiful work coming out of your shop on Facebook. I even asked for a job :D No answer though LOL :eye:

What kind of shape is the car in? We might be able to work some thing out.
I really can't afford a regular shop Tim unless you can work on it for $20/hr or you wanna trade work for work.

PM if you'd want tips from personnel management experience. :)

What kind of shape is the car in? We might be able to work some thing out.

No rust just some lower quarter damage and finish molding in the rear bumper.

IMAG0060-1.jpg

84eba13f.jpg

Some bad older body work like this on both lower quarters

I've worked as a bodyman for the last 23 years, I enjoy doing restoration work, but collision is were the money is. Everytime I take one on I think both sides feel like they are being screwed, but at the end of the job a figure out what I made after my expenses and I'm lucky to make 1/3 of normal shop rates. I am finishing up a 69 chevelle now I have 300-400hrs in it so far, new 1/4s, doors, fenders, hood, deck, floors, painted the frame ect. He wanted to keep it less than $10,000 with materials which is a ton of money but with 2,500 in paint and material that comes to around 20hr to spend on shop over head and there isnt hardly anything left. So it is easy to take other jobs that pay the bills.

Shoot me a PM and I will give you my number and we can talk or just call the shop tomorrow. Tim

I do autobody for a living, owner operator, I will not take restorations on because I keep busy with insurance work. I get approached non stop to do them but won't because they would never get done. I rather leave the extra room for my own projects.8)

I hear that a lot. The body shops rather get minor projects done and out there door so they get paid instead of keeping a car in there shop for months maybe years and get paid crap for it.

What do you mean getting paid crap.If you don't want to do it don't take the job.It is an hourly rate.and you as a bodyman set the rete.You do something because you love to do it.If you want to make money at it then it is what it is.I like mopars there are easy to me.If someone wants an engine built I analyze it ,see what he is going to do with the car and see what performance he is expecting out of the hole car.That will determine the out come.Thats something applies to what ever you do.Do what I did.The body guy stopped working on my car I asked him why and he gave me the same answer you got.The next day I took my trailer to his garage and took my car.He was paid up front and now he has a court date.Remember to document everything.Also the body guy that has my car now said it would be done by Christmas.I gave him a little extra time .I went over there just this weekend and he never started the car.I told him to make up his mind do my car or give me my money back or he will be seeing me in court also.As for me I am done with bodymen.If I hadn't had this car for so long I would parted it out and found something already done.My next project will be a kit car.That way I wont need a bodyman for what i need to do. Mark
I hear that a lot. The body shops rather get minor projects done and out there door so they get paid instead of keeping a car in there shop for months maybe years and get paid crap for it.

I now the feeling. When the tornado tore my 67 GTS up a friend came up and told me to bring it to his body shop and he would fix it back for me. He kept my car for over a year and never touched it. I went by weekly and told him that I never he had insurance jobs to do and I understood that but I would come by every Friday and pay him in cash for every hour he had worked on my car that week and it still didn't motivate him. I finally found someone else to do it and probably got a better job in the long run. When I went to get my car from the first guy he drove by as I was come-a-longing it onto trailer by myself and never stopped to ask what I was doing. That has been 14 years and he still hasn't asked. Good luck getting yours finished, Joe

dont do anything for this guy he is a user leave him alone tell him to start working on your car or your taking it to someone that will and he can forget you working on his cars anymore. now this is all a bluff of course but! if he says ok then take your car and put it up until he needs some done tell him then work on my car first and when he gets finished with yours you will start on his

-
Back