Cant use Radio suppressor with IVR3 Limiter?

-

LovetheA's

Reaction score
I stumbled across a website that said once you upgrade your voltage limiter from a stock one to an electronic IVR3 limiter you cant reattach the old radio suppressor. I wasnt aware of this and plugged it back into the circuit board in the middle prong under the new limiter. Just where it was when the oem limiter was on it. Is this a no no?

I don't know who said "cant use it". In respect to its electrical purpose, Matter of fact it is no longer needed with a solid state regulator. In respect to its physical presence, The lack of the second male spade in the slot would leave that a loose/weak connection. Maybe whoever designed the part you purchased provided a male spade of double thickness there ( highly doubtful ). If that is they case, they would be who said "cant". Most of the vendors who design aftermarket crap have never owned one of these cars or even serviced one. The Chinese who produce their crap aint even seen one of the vehicles LOL That's why they cant answer your questions

Solid state regulators can be sensitive to the amount of capacitance after the regulator. It slows down the the transient response, the ability to quickly regulate for transient changes in supply or load. That may not be an issue with the slow response of gauge system. Leaving it off will not make more noise, the necessary noise reduction is very likely part of the circuit. Capacitors now days are much more reliable and 1000x smaller than that big condenser.

Thanks for on the responses everyone. So at this point the radio suppressor was originall on the back of the cluster under the solid state limiter. If I already positioned it under my new electronic upgraded limiter from what I gather it won't really affect anything? If that's the case I'll just leave it.

If this is in conjunction with the other thread about the odd guage and instrument light behavior, the RFI suppressor is not need for the instrument cluster ground. If 'twer me, I would move the RFI suppressor to ground its tab elsewhere and connect it to the 12V radio power line to keep the radio power line 'clean', and then run a separate ground wire from the instrument cluster to chassis.

Actually, Dave, originally there were several

Coil +

One in the alternator

One (or two) and maybe in inductive pi or L filter inside the radio

And of course the one on the limiter.

Depends on the noise you are trying to suppress.....if it's all line conducted noise, right at the radio is fine.

Just thinking about where the most noise is in an A-body, likely the ignition. The radio internally already has bypass capacitors inside, and shorts from those are protected by fuse. If there is not a capacitor at the coil +, adding one will help reduce both conducted and radiated EMI. The circuit will also be some what protected from a capacitor short by the ballast resistor.

Cutting into the radio power, to insert an old capacitor would not be something worth the effort, or risk. The few inches of lead length, would diminish the usefulness. Those rolled capacitors might be showing their age, and short someday. Just my humble opinion.

When mitigating EMI, doing at the source of noise is always the best solution.

-
Back