Captainkirk's Duster project

-
Well said (as always). It's therapy for me as well, as are many other projects in wood, stone (I love stone), dirt and plant life. The passion to build which is shared on the forum is deeply rooted, perhaps even primeval. The final product is only a stepping stone to the next challenge.

Well said (as always).
Thanks. Much appreciated.
It's therapy for me as well, as are many other projects in wood, stone (I love stone), dirt and plant life. The passion to build which is shared on the forum is deeply rooted, perhaps even primeval. The final product is only a stepping stone to the next challenge.
True, I have many other projects and interests that are "passions". None of them seem to envelope me completely like The Duke does, though. Sometimes I drag my feet getting out there, or 'suiting up' and digging in...but once I do, I seem to lose all track of time and other concerns, usually only stopping when I run outta something (examples given; paint, undercoating, bottled water, beer, money....) :D and many's the time I glanced up at the clock and uttered a few expletive deleted's at the hour on the clock. I'm glad I have it (Duke) at this moment in my life though....getting me through some rough times.
By the way, I've noticed if you glance at your 'frog princess' icon out of the corner of your eye, it looks like a ThermoQuad. Just sayin'....:blob:

Sometimes I feel embarrassed that our project " Misty" was never sent to the soda blaster and she isn't sitting in a 10,000 sqft shop glistening in epoxy primer waiting for a $40,000.00 plus makeover....
But hey, I have 5 children and mortgage, I picked up the car that was pretty much intact with a blown motor and trans for $200.00
I have never subscribed to this hobby being a shockingly expensive one unless you want it be.
Seriously, it's therapeutic for me too. I don't need to spend anything more than the cost of wire wheels, sandpaper and the Chassis Saver Paint I'm putting on her bottom.
I found a new motor that was built really nice, that was removed form a just completed project in favor of a big block.....If I wanted to reproduce my motor, the parts alone would cost over $1200.00 not to mention the core and the labor, but I waited and was patient and I got the whole motor carb to pan for $400.00 and it looks like someone opened a time capsule form 1974 and this pristine V8 engine rolled out of it.
The thought of Misty sitting in my driveway, lovingly de-rusted and gleaming in her new single stage Rallye Red paint keeps me and the boys scraping and painting down under...
Keep the faith brother.....

Thanks, DD. You are 'grass-roots people" and like me you are building with sweat & blood (and in your case, family participation) rather than throwing cash around recklessly. It would be nice, granted. But some things just....well, aren't.
We'll all get there someday.

...a heavy, multi-coat layer of Rust-Oleum oil-based paint in a light "Smoke Gray" color over all the previously "Rust-Reformed" metal (exceptions; areas with good, intact rust coating in place).......

Trunk area and wheel tub seams:
10527148396_01bebf10be.jpg

10527155606_804957b19d.jpg

10527154675_fcb06c3763.jpg

10527399113_8d2cfcdbf3.jpg

Underside and tranny hump:
10527225884_b72cfd101c.jpg

10527202236_d5f29f0061.jpg

10527213956_c80c60565f.jpg

10527263604_bba93dea6b.jpg

Future location of subframe connectors:
10527270034_e570ea2d24.jpg

Inner skirts:
10527470643_ffd839a0eb.jpg

Tranny hump:
10527249245_1b0f32de3f.jpg

Forward frame rails:
10527306494_d94d398cf9.jpg

and....
10527312954_7694e77aec.jpg

So far, only used 2 quarts of Rust-Oleum on this entire area. Some places have 3 coats.....:D

By the way, I've noticed if you glance at your 'frog princess' icon out of the corner of your eye, it looks like a ThermoQuad. Just sayin'....:blob:

LOL Only to a serious gearhead. :D:D
Very nice work.
The frog has been neglected for a while.
I think I hear her calling... Saying "I want some love too".

LOL Only to a serious gearhead. :D:D

Yeah....guilty as charged, Your Honor.:eek:ccasion:

Very nice work.

Thanks. The big thing here is that it's CHEAP work. There's all kinds of exotic treatments and products for restorations, but it's hard to beat a $10.00 can of Rust-Oleum oil-based. Just sayin'...:-?

The frog has been neglected for a while.
I think I hear her calling... Saying "I want some love too".

Give the ThermoQuad some love, brother....ribbit....

They say "haste makes waste". Ummmmm, yeah.
Having about half a can of Westley's undercoating left over from doing the inner panels under the rear windows, I decided to use it up on the trunk floor, specifically the area around the fender wells with the fresh sealant.
And now we get to the 'waste' part......
It layed down beautifully on the painted area behind the diff hump, but when it dried over the sealant......alligator skin.
In checking the remaining caulk lines, I notice the Rust-Oleum is still tacky over all the caulk lines. I should have waited another few days or a week, but wanted to keep the train a-rollin' (sigh). Not sure how I'll approach this yet, but before I do anything I'll make damn sure everything is fully cured.

Alligator skin look might be OK for boots and suitcases, but not my trunk! Notice the area FORWARD of the caulk line....the Westley's went down beautifully.
10583794904_d240ce8655.jpg

Yes, alligators can shoot around corners as well.
10583799954_4fa6f8bdba.jpg

Looks like frog skin to me ;)
Hmmm.... How'd you do that?

After cogitating a bit (a glass of wine really helps in this regard!) I've decided to wait until everything sets up......and then shoot over the top of the alligator skin (or do you prefer 'frog skin'?):poke: with more Westley's. Why Westley's, you ask, when it didn't even get ONE vote in the poll? (What poll? This poll. Pay attention!)

OK; Rust-proofing/Undercoating?

Anyway, back on track...I decided to use Westley's IN THE TRUNK because it's not all bumpy and **** for one, and I will be able to paint color over it, for two. So the trunk will be color-correct, and only a little bumpy. More 'sandy', if you will.
How do I know I can paint over the Westley's? Shut up. You weren't supposed to ask. I don't, really. I'll play with it before I spray the whole trunk. There....I think I've exonerated myself.

Anyway, that's the plan....Will it work? Let's just hope it works better than alligator skin.

Last edited:
Frog approved :D

Attachments

• frog approved.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 368
So is it a four barrel frog or a trunk toad? Nice match on the skin...

FYI I also thought it was a carb first time I saw the pic. LOL

Sometimes I feel embarrassed that our project " Misty" was never sent to the soda blaster and she isn't sitting in a 10,000 sqft shop glistening in epoxy primer waiting for a $40,000.00 plus makeover....But hey, I have 5 children and mortgage

Too funny. Wait until they start going to university..I have one in second year and another going next fall.

Regardless, I am never impressed with the car that has been completed by high cost talent. I am impressed with the guys / girls that do most of the work themselves.

I guess that is why I am turned off of car mags..and not really impressed with car shows..

When all you do is write a cheque, how can you be proud of your car ?

...a heavy, multi-coat layer of Rust-Oleum oil-based paint in a light "Smoke Gray" color over all the previously "Rust-Reformed" metal (exceptions; areas with good, intact rust coating in place).......

Trunk area and wheel tub seams:
10527148396_01bebf10be.jpg

10527155606_804957b19d.jpg

10527154675_fcb06c3763.jpg

10527399113_8d2cfcdbf3.jpg

Underside and tranny hump:
10527225884_b72cfd101c.jpg

10527202236_d5f29f0061.jpg

10527213956_c80c60565f.jpg

10527263604_bba93dea6b.jpg

Future location of subframe connectors:
10527270034_e570ea2d24.jpg

Inner skirts:
10527470643_ffd839a0eb.jpg

Tranny hump:
10527249245_1b0f32de3f.jpg

Forward frame rails:
10527306494_d94d398cf9.jpg

and....
10527312954_7694e77aec.jpg

So far, only used 2 quarts of Rust-Oleum on this entire area. Some places have 3 coats.....:D

Captain, the bottom paint looks nice!

Nice work. I've been restoring my 67 Valiant in my driveway not too far from you near Schaumburg. I may have some leftover stuff from my resto you can use for yours pretty reasonable. I just finally had the front and rear glass installed so I can start putting the interior back together. I've been doing mine on a budget as well but opted to have the shell blasted/primed and a shop paint it since I'm more of a mechanical/R&R guy than a body man.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=211139

Aslo,can you tell me if your fender bolts that secure it to the rad support have the same sized washer as the ones that secure the fender to the inner fender or is it a larger washer? I've had my car apart for a year now and can't remember which is the correct bolt.

Aslo,can you tell me if your fender bolts that secure it to the rad support have the same sized washer as the ones that secure the fender to the inner fender or is it a larger washer? I've had my car apart for a year now and can't remember which is the correct bolt.

Couldn't say for sure. Had my whole front valance off, like......CRIMINY!!!CAN IT REALLY BE THIRTY YEARS AGO!!!!? so no telling if it's reassembled 'correctly' or not...I'd like to say yes, but I'm not responsible for my own actions that long ago (statute of limitations and all...)
Checked out your thread, BTW......great job! Maybe we can meet up at some of the car shows next year. I like to do Park On Park in Mundelein several times throughout the summer.

That Smoke Grey looks cool!
What Kind of brush/roller are you using?

Thanks. I deliver building materials there daily to the new sub division off of 83 & Hawley and never knew they had a car show. I have been parting and putting cars together for 20 + years so if you need any assistance I'm always happy to help. I have boxes full of bolts.clips and screws from parts cars and know pretty much where every one of them go. I'm actually in Bloomingdale 60108....Fyi,all the fender bolts are the same. I have a parts car in the garage and they are the same. I was having doubts after being apart so long. There are a few shows and swaps down near me during the warm months if your interested. I've only had my recent car for about 2 years but have had about 7 or 8 67 & 8 valiants and countless parts cars. I'm known in the area as Valiant Chuck,Mopar Chuck or Sedanman nice to meet another local mopar man.

-
Back