Captainkirk's Duster project

-
What sadness... I just realized that MONTHS ago I changed my email address and didn't tell FABO. SO -- I just signed on and looked for updates to this thread. Woe is us'ns. No updates in all these months from our esteemed Cap'n. Come on, buddy. Make a New Year's Resolution for the Duke, and keep it!

As for me and my son, we're at work on the interior of our father/son 70 Dart Swinger Project. Over the spring and summer we got the engine built and installed into our newly cleaned and painted engine bay, tranny built, installed a 3.91 Sure Grip pumpkin and detailed the underside. "Darlene" (the Dart) runs under her own power! Estimate completion of "Stage 1" restoration is late Spring, early Summer.

Cheers!
Rub
You're right, Rub. This has been a year of transition for me with walking away from my business and starting a new job (remind me to tell you a story about it some time... I do tell stories); I knew pretty early on I wasn't gonna get anywhere this summer so didn't fight the Force when it told me to take some time off. I'm planning on hitting it hard this spring, I've got the whole underside done now and it's time to get cracking on suspension and rear end and get them back on the car. The Duke has been very patient with me, and my son (also a member here) is egging me on to get moving on it. And, as a matter of fact, The Duke WAS on my list of resolutions for 2015. Thanks for the inquiry!

You're right, Rub. This has been a year of transition for me with walking away from my business and starting a new job (remind me to tell you a story about it some time... I do tell stories); I knew pretty early on I wasn't gonna get anywhere this summer so didn't fight the Force when it told me to take some time off. I'm planning on hitting it hard this spring, I've got the whole underside done now and it's time to get cracking on suspension and rear end and get them back on the car. The Duke has been very patient with me, and my son (also a member here) is egging me on to get moving on it. And, as a matter of fact, The Duke WAS on my list of resolutions for 2015. Thanks for the inquiry!

Welcome back buddy! We miss seeing your posts! Now get back to it!

Captain, it's nice to see you back around...best of everything to you. Looking forward to seeing you get the Duke rolling again.

Trouble is, quite frankly, I have too many hobbies and to much going on to stay dialed in all the time. Two years ago (2013) I did more work to The Duke than I have in the last 20. And when I stopped for the winter, other things took over and I got caught up in the whirlwind.
If I can get off to a good, early start and stay wired up I can get a lot accomplished this year. The new job is affording me a lot more flexibility, monetarily, than I've had in along time.
I guess I need you guys to keep pestering me.:violent1:
I truly envy the guy who has his Mopar as a hobby or project and nothing outside of that to draw his or her attention from the task at hand and also those who live in a warmer climate or have a heated workshop to work out of. I've found the worst thing for a project, any project, is to simply stop. Sure, winter is only a couple months, and relatively speaking, it's a fairly short period of time. But getting back in the saddle once you've dismounted is a much bigger undertaking than it used to be. Hope I can bring something to the table this year for you.:prayer:

OK...two things happening here;
1) I'm gettin' really antsy to get rockin' and rollin' this year. Like; NOW.
2) I feel a story comin' on. Been rolling around the ol' cranium for a couple days.

OK...two things happening here;
1) I'm gettin' really antsy to get rockin' and rollin' this year. Like; NOW.
2) I feel a story comin' on. Been rolling around the ol' cranium for a couple days.

There's the Captain!

Here is a shot of your pissed off looking little buddy from the tail panel of my Duster project to provide some motivation....

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 346
There's the Captain!

Here is a shot of your pissed off looking little buddy from the tail panel of my Duster project to provide some motivation....

LMAO! I remember my "pissed-off little buddy" all to well! And the red. Thanks for the trip down Memory Lane!

OK, now a little trip down 'Diversity Lane'.
You readers remember how I came to be be part owner of a small aircraft maintenance facility...now let me tell you about how I came to NOT be.
What?!! Sorta got my tongue tangled there, I know what I meant. If you don't, that's your problem....
Things were not going so well, what with the recession and all. Our 'senior partner' (read: controlling financial partner) decided early in 2013 that we managing partners would have to take a 'temporary' salary cut...as in 20%. Really?!!!!
Well, we did, with reluctance, being as it was only 'temporary' (right...joke's on you, sucker!) and it was our company....
So I went from having few bucks left over at the end of the month to....barely breaking even. Since we were salaried, and my wife was no longer working due to disability, it was looking pretty grim. My other biz partner was a divorced single parent; he was faring no better.
Still, we soldiered on...for over a year....doing all the work, scheduling, customer contact, facilities management, you name it, while the money man did his thing twice a week....namely paying bills and accounting functions. I hadn't taken a vacation day in five years, working 40+ hours a week, every week. It gets worse, but I won't go there. I got through a lot of those hard times by immersing myself in The Duke doing things that cost little or no money, like the cleaning and painting of the interior and underside as chronicled earlier. It helped...some.
As 2013 was coming to a close, a couple events came home to roost that changed everything.
First came the notice from my mortgage company that due to an escrow shortage, my payment for the next 12 months would be going up almost $300.00 a month to cover the shortage. Huh?!! Yeah, whatever! This was followed by the looming certainty of Obamacare, and either paying for the insurance that I could no longer afford, or pay the penalty that I couldn't afford. There were a lot of nights I slept poorly, if at all.
Then, as 2013 lumbered to an end, the paychecks began coming late..."here's your check, but don't cash it until next week", followed by "there's no money for payroll this week" Of course, being listed as 'salaried owners', he could legally get away without paying us late, or not paying us at all. And there wasn't a damn thing we could do about it.
Or was there?
We had a meeting; I expressed my concerns about the future of the company, and more importantly, of us.
I suggested we either do a business loan for additional capital, or extend our line of credit. Moneybags made his case plain and simple: No loans, no credit. Both were bad business.
Easy for him to say; he owned another business he was drawing a full-time salary from. Me and my partner were hanging on a thread, and doing all the work to boot.
It was a time for soul-searching; for self examination. A time to cut the bullshit and look in the friggin' mirror while shaving.
As humans frequently do, it's most easy to delude and deceive ourselves than others, but I felt as if I was viewing the situation from the outside for the first time, and not liking what I was seeing one bit.
From a strictly business-like standpoint, I couldn't argue his points about borrowing money being 'bad business'. But neither could I refute that not having enough income to pay bills and mortgage was also 'bad business' on a personal level. Was I dedicated, driven, sacrificing? Sure. All of that plus more. But I was also not stupid. Something was rotten in Denmark, and we could no longer deny the stench wafting our way.
Something needed to be done, and quickly...

Well Cap'n I know part 2 all too well. I'm very pleased and proud of you for part 2!! I'm considering posting a poll about a nameless man who has way too many spare A-body parts laying around, and a son with an A-body that's desperately in need of these type of parts. Who by the way is willing to purchase them with a father son discount of course lol. Wutcha' think there?

Aircraft maintenance is a tough business. I was in it long enough to get licensed, about a year more and got out having seen it was not going to take me anywhere good. Never looked back.
Bring on part 2.

Part 2 coming as soon as I get dug out from the blizzard of '15.
Two to six inches, my ***!
Close to two feet here in the Chicago area!!!
As for you, Dusterman....patience is a virtue, and good things come to those who wait.

Part 2 coming as soon as I get dug out from the blizzard of '15.
Two to six inches, my ***!
Close to two feet here in the Chicago area!!!
As for you, Dusterman....patience is a virtue, and good things come to those who wait.

yeah two feet but nothing like it was four years ago..

Attachments

• DSCF1140.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 272
I may be somewhat of a procrastinator when it comes to picnicing on the train tracks, but when they start to rumble and hum, I'm generally smart enough to get out of the way.
Reluctantly, I began looking at aviation employment websites and putting out subtle feelers. A the paychecks continued to 'not appear' on payday and I was forced to begin borrowing to keep my mortgage up, the feelers went from subtle to seismic. Christmas was a real bummer, if you get my drift. It would go in fits and starts....no check, then some work would filter in and we'd squeak through another payroll. Then another dry payday, another loan from relatives, another sleepless night...it was like giving a teaspoon of water to a man dying of thirst.
It was time to pack up the picnic basket. The rails were humming their electric tune and I thought I could see a light flickering through the mist down the rails...moving in my direction.
Yep, time to get the hell off the tracks, bucko.....
It was non-payday again, and I was quivering with anger at getting stiffed...yet again...and the thought of having to grovel and make another mortgage-borrowing phone call.
I called Kenny.
Now, Kenny was an old acquaintance. We go waaaay back. He also happens to be Kenny, the Brit Bike Nut mentioned once-upon-a-time way back somewhere in this story. I gave Kenny his first job in aviation, mentored and encouraged him back in the early days to get his A&P, later his IA, and then encouraged him to get the hell out of general aviation, go corporate aviation, and live a little. He did. And made a rather good go of it. I had given him a job working for me during a year-long layoff as well... Kenny said he figured he owed me. I didn't see it that way, but I asked him a favor; if he heard of any jobs in the corporate world, give me a heads-up. He said he would.
He also said he never considered me to be in the market as I was a 'business owner'. I gave him the rundown, and explained just what being a 'business owner' meant. Having a new, enlightened full 'understanding', he promised to keep me in mind if he heard of anything.
I don't mind telling you that I began having some serious conversations with the Big Boss Upstairs around this time as well. Quite a few of them. And as the coldest, snowiest midwest winter I could ever remember soldiered on, my dispair and feelings of helplessness deepened along with the snow and plunging mercury....

A) I only have short periods of time within which to create my masterpieces
B) If I gave you too much at one time, you'd never come back.
I've got this whole suspense thing down! :)

I had a couple leads; nothing too promising, but I was making phone calls and actually talking to people. Most wanted to know why I was looking for a job when they knew me as a business owner; I just told them the truth. I got understanding and a little sympathy, but that's about all.
Until Kenny called me.
He told me he had been offered another job, more money, better hours. He was reluctant to take it though, having been in his present position for 7 years (since he left working for me to get a sweet corporate gig). He said he was going to see if his company would match the new offer, and get back to me. I asked him if they did, to forward me the info on the other job. He promised he would.
A week went by and he called me again. The company had rejected his offer. He had accepted the new position and tendered his resignation in two weeks.
I asked if he minded if I contacted his chief pilot/supervisor, he said "No problem". I just happened to have his email address because three years earlier, I had bought my Dodge Dakota from him after Kenny had tipped me to it. Super-nice guy to deal with on that transaction! At least I wasn't flying blind...
I contacted him and asked if I might send him a resume; he said "Sure", so off it went (I had recently updated it so I was ready in that regard!) He told me he had received it, but there would be no decisions for a couple weeks.
I kept in pretty close contact, emailing him every couple days to check. I guess word travels quickly through the grapevine though, and others had been applying. I had no idea of the other applicants or their qualifications; I could only hope I was still in the running as we continued to play Russian Roulette with the paychecks. Finally, he called me in for an interview, and then a week later for a follow-up with the second pilot. After that, all I could do was wait....
As we moved into March, and one of my favorite holidays, St. Patrick's Day, I couldn't help but remembering last St. Pat's, when the salary cuts had kicked in, and how much of a miserable, worrisome struggle it had been since then. We celebrated despite being broke with the usual corned beef, cabbage, potatoes and soda bread washed down with a cold Guinness and the thought crossed my mind that next St. Pat's would either be one of the best I ever had or possibly the worst...hell; I could be homeless by then, my house might be in foreclosure. I couldn't go on borrowing. What would happen to The Duke, up on jack stands with no suspension or motor, if I lost my home? What would happen to my family? I'm pretty sure I had more than one Guinness that night.
I had been promised an answer by the end of March, but the suspense was killing me. I got another lead on a different job and called the guy, he seemed interested so I sent him a resume as well. We talked a bit and set up an interview for a Thursday morning.
Wednesday night I had gone to the gym after dinner, come home and was working on some stuff on the computer. I had planned on taking the morning off for my interview, and checked my cell phone for the time. There was a text waiting from the chief pilot I had bought my Dakota from; "Call me when you get a minute" Naturally, I called him that very second.
Me: "Hi, you wanted me to call?"
Him: "Yes. You win."
Me: "I win?"
Him: "Yes. You got the job".
Now, I wish I could tell you the details of the rest of the conversation, but I really don't remember them. I was numb. And over the moon, half-crazy delirious with relief and joy. How soon could I start, he asked, and I told him I'd have to have a week at least to wrap up things at work. The salary was double what our starvation wages had been cut back to, and the company offered full medical benefits including dental and vision! I woke my wife up out of a dead sleep and we high-fived, hugged and she cried some, and you better believe we said our prayers THAT night!
Now, all I had to do is tell my other partners I was leaving them holding the bag......

I think I know the Kenny you are referring to. He LOVES the Triumph's. Also a great person/nice guy. He worked in aviation at the airport, for a major medical supply company at one time I think?

Glad you're on the way back out of despair!!! It does take a toll on you. Can you say stressed out?

I think I know the Kenny you are referring to. He LOVES the Triumph's. Also a great person/nice guy. He worked in aviation at the airport, for a major medical supply company at one time I think?
Sounds like my buddy. Awesome dude, I owe him a lot!

Sounds like the Cap'n is not going down with the ship. :wack: :D

-
Back