car cover

-

furz4

Reaction score
I am going to have to give up my indoor parking spot for probably most of the winter and am thinking about getting some kind of cover. Vehicle will be parked on paved driveway. Dont want to spend an awfull lot but was thinking a cover would be better then none at all. What do you guys do when you have to keep your car outside. I do drive mine sometimes during the snow season when roads are clear but dont think I want it sitting in a snowdrift uncovered.

I'm sure there will be varying opinions on this, and of course the quality of the cover matters, as well. At various times, I've had to leave my car outside in CT weather (although not in snow). I cover it with a cheap $100 "outdoor" cover. I DON'T leave the cover on continuously. I try to keep it off more than on when it's dry, but keep it covered in rain. I've heard all kinds of mildew horror stories on cars that were left covered all season. It's a tough balance between breathability and weatherproofing that you will NOT find in a $100 cover, probably not at any price. It would probably be good to use a dessiccant inside, also.

yes you have to be carefull with mildew. Have you looked into those parking covers. I think their made out of canvis or plastic. This may be more then you want to spend but it would be cheaper then recovering seats. Also doesn't hurt to keep a couple of boxes of baking soda and mouth balls in the car.

My neighbor uses a cheapo auto parts store cover on his 68 cuda, and usually takes it off when it rains but he drives the car every couple days so the paint gets to breathe.

If you could save up $600 or so you could get the best of both worlds and get a decent steel car port.

If not a daily driver have you considered a storage setup as an option for a season. Got in a bind 2yrs ago before my carport was built and stored our valiant in a 10 x 20 unit. Was $90 a month at the time and only 1/2 mile from my house so worked out great but still was $270 bucks for winter so wouldn't do every season but might be good temporary fix.

Oldschoolcuda

My neighbor uses a cheapo auto parts store cover on his 68 cuda, and usually takes it off when it rains but he drives the car every couple days so the paint gets to breathe.

If you could save up $600 or so you could get the best of both worlds and get a decent steel car port.

You can't buy a "decent" steel carport for 600 bucks, at least not around here, that will put up with snow. I ended up building my own!!

I have a car cover on my convertible and a portable "canvas" car/rv tent (Costco) over my parts car. I don't get snow in SoCal but we do get rain. I usually have to remove the car cover whenever there is rain or dew that collects because the cover is not water "proof" but water resistant. Moisture does condense under the cover.

The parts car stays dry all of the time with no car cover, just the enclosed car tent. It has been like this for two years and there are no mildew issues. Once I am done with the donor car, I will put the convertible or the Duster under the car tent.

I think I saw some of our Canadian members using a similar car enclosure.

-
Back