Car Trailer Tires

-

Darter6

Reaction score
I did some searching but came up with nothing. What are you using for trailer tires that won't fall apart in 2 years of use? My first set of trailer tires lasted over 10 years and 100,000+ miles, Not even a flat. Goodyears.
After that I have used several brands including Goodyear and 3 different trailers and like stated earlier 2 years max.approx 10-12,000 miles a year.
I picked up my new trailer at the factory and had a flat on the way home.:angry7:....... Please Help !!!!

Goodyear Marathon. We keep them covered in the winter and usually jack the trailer up and put on blocks over the winter. I check air pressure everytime we tow just to make sure. I have seen to many people just hook up and go and wil have a low tire and destroy the tire.

It's been discussed before and a few people like them. But Many will say to stay away from Carlisle. I had nothing but bad luck and short life with them on my old open, but heavy, trailer trying both, Load range C and D.

I now have a 26' Pace enclosed trailer and never considered anything but 6,000lb axles and 16" tires. I believe it is possible to get 16" rims for a 5 and/or 6 bolt pattern axle. I always get something heavier than what I think I'll need.

I always keep the tires aired up to max. recommended pressure.

Thank you. Mine are 6 lug (15") and have been thinking about going 16".
I'm anal about air pressure and also remove the tires during the off season.
Anybody runing load range E ? I have found a source by a company called GreenBall. in a 225/75/15 E but never heard of this MFG before.

I've used towmasters from greenball and they are good.

Hard to find now.

If you can go to a 16" tire, you'll find more options.

I'm running E load range in 15". I was concerned because they are from China but the local tire shop said that they have had good luck with them.

I run 15" Cooper Cobra 235/70/15 radial car tires on my car trailer. The only problem is the front tire finds nails and kick them up for the back tires.
I replaced them after 5 years because of age. Gave them to a co-worker to put on his 70 SS Chevelle project/daily driver.

Keep them covered. The sun nukes them quick. There is not rely any good options for trailer tires in a 15 inch rim. 16's are the way to go.

I would not run a radial tire for a trailer if you held a gun to my head. You will be forever replacin tires. Want to put tires on it and have them get so old they dry rot before they wear out? Put these on it.

http://www.gemplers.com/product/971/8x145-14-ply-High-Speed-Tubeless-Trailer-Tire

them sumbitches will last for YEARS and will haul whatthehellever you wanna put on them. I know, they are an oddball size and new wheels would be a must, but they are the best trailer tires you can get.

My dad put 18.5 rims on his trailer. Lot of good tires in that rim size and you can change them out your self with nothing more than a valve core remover, soap, two tire irons, and a sledge hammer.

Thank you. Mine are 6 lug (15") and have been thinking about going 16".
I'm anal about air pressure and also remove the tires during the off season.
Anybody runing load range E ? I have found a source by a company called GreenBall. in a 225/75/15 E but never heard of this MFG before.

Make sure you have enough space between the tires if your trailer is a tandem. For replacement tires I look for 10 ply rated.

I only run radials on my two 18-foot tandem axle 7,000 lbs. car haulers.
I use Denman 205/75R-15 6-ply (Load Range C). I have had both of my trailers for 5 years now and they sit outside in the open elements year round and they get well used in all four seasons. I never had any problems yet.
I always keep the inflated pressures set to the maximum for my tires (50 psi max.).
When I'm not using the trailers to haul my vehicles here or there, I use them for hauling scrap metal to the "local" recyclers.

15000856979.jpg

p1000458kk6.jpg

Don't worry, our 1963 Ford F-100 is powered by a 1989 roller cam Dodge 360 backed by a T/F-727. The Ford truck 9" rear axle is soon to be replaced with an A-body 8-3/4" with Doctor Diff aftermarket 5 x 4.5" axles.
:supz:

e rated tires 6 to 10ply they come in 15 16 17 18 ect but not cheap ...as the saying goes you get what you pay for right ... i mean you do carry one of your hard work an effort on there to the track or show ... i run ten ply a bit over kill but they carry what i put on it from rolls of hay to hot rod .

I would not run a radial tire for a trailer if you held a gun to my head. You will be forever replacin tires. Want to put tires on it and have them get so old they dry rot before they wear out?

Stroker,
What is the difference between running radials on a car and a trailer ???
I had the Cobras on the trailer for over 5 years and they were still in good shape when they came off.

I will have to go out later and post the brand but I have 205/15 bias trailer tires that I put on mine in 98 and put 80 thousand on the trailer and it is just now time to replace them. 2 were load range C and 2 were load range D and it has pulled many cars and trucks through many states at speeds of 80mph at times.

Those Tow Masters are the ticket, ST225/75R15 LRC (8ply), but like crackedback said, they are hard to find. They also look just like the Good Year Marathon tire but are a fraction of the price and in my mind, WAY better. I work for a large tire company and we used to sell tons of them.

I have Tow Master Radials on my car trailer, 205/75R14. This is the second set on the trailer. I replaced the original 1994 set in 2006 and because of side wall cracking not tread wear. I towed our racecar three seasons, used it as a utility trailer, towed a friends 57 Massey a dozen times, and numerous cars and trucks up to that point. I don't know how many miles I put on it but it was quite a few. Since I've replaced the tires I use the trailer a few times a month for utility, towed a 2002 Pontiac to the U-pull it today, towed my F150 when it broke down in Md., and towed the wifes Mustang on vacation this year a total of 3200 miles, tires are showing no wear.
I hope I can find them again when needed. they are/were made in Canada.

Looks like they ( Greenball Towmasters ) can be found at Big "O" tire stores. I don't think they are national, maybe just west coast. Good price st 225/75/R15 load range "E" $104.99 retail.

I work for a major boat trailer manufacturer in Florida we have used various brands of tires, first off stay away from carlisle not a very good tire,second never ever run a tire made for a car on a trailer the side wall rating is not heavy enough,goodyear,towmaster,loadstar,kendra radials/bias ply,all have been used by us, all have had warrenty claims but nowhere near what we had with carlisle in total. Sun and air pressure are key to tire life. Thats my two cents worth happy hunting.

An old-school tire-guy up-here told me the reason why many of these tires self-destruct is that they do not use natural-rubber like they used to.

I have a set of O L D nylon tires on one of my motorhomes that I am REdoing .... there is ZERO sidewall "damage" or cracking. The tires were put on in the late 70's or early 80's.

An old-school tire-guy up-here told me the reason why many of these tires self-destruct is that they do not use natural-rubber like they used to.

I have a set of O L D nylon tires on one of my motorhomes that I am REdoing .... there is ZERO sidewall "damage" or cracking. The tires were put on in the late 70's or early 80's.

You can't go by appearance. I had a new, never used, 8 year old E-rated 16" trailer tire that was stored in a garage or inside the trailer. It looked perfectly "new"! But when I did use it after I had a flat, that "new looking" tire lost it's tread down to the steel belts after less than 2,000 miles.

Things are made "cheaper" these days, but the DOT does have tests that need to be passed. But either way, tires do have a limited "shelf-life".

Stroker,
What is the difference between running radials on a car and a trailer ???
I had the Cobras on the trailer for over 5 years and they were still in good shape when they came off.

You have the weight of the trailer, plus the car. You cannot use the standard automotive rating system when shopping for trailer tires. Because of their positioning, trailer tires have more load on them. Trailers are designed with the tires very close together, so, the weight has a smaller point of concentration and tire wear is accellerated. If trailers could be designed with the tires at the corners like a car, it would be a different picture altogether. That's the reason that 8 and 10 ply tires are not enough for a car hauler. For one that might be used only two or three times a year, you can get by. However, if you use it draggin the thing back and forth to the strip a lot, you better step up to some "real" trailer tires like I posted. The reason I like the biased ply is because unlike the radials, the biased plys "hold" their footprint better. They don't have the "sway" that radials do. They are a lot more stiff in comparison and hold their shape whereas radials "squirm" when they hit the pavement. While those characteristics are desireable on a car, the opposite is true on a trailer.

Very Logical. I had those odd size mobilehome axles with a homemade trailer back in the 70's. The tires were old when I got them but I never had a failure. Now that I am older and have better equipment I would like to get something I could trust. I't no fun having to change 3 tires in 2400 miles on a 4 day trip.The date code on the tires were only 2 years old and I was well under weight by about 1,000 lbs. I am half tempted to do away with the radials this time.

Good info. I have a Big Tex 7000 lb trailer I bought new in 2004. Many trips to Florida, North Carolina, Pennsylvania and recently Utah to buy a 69 Dart. I don't recall how many times I have replaced the Carlisle tires, but I guess I am on my third set. Based on this thread, I will be looking for a different tire next time. Thx.

-
Back